Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,460 Posts
Yep hit and run incidents are all too common here to. Usually involves alcohol, drugs, uninsured drivers or drivers already under suspension. We have a front and rear window dash cams in my wife's car

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
If you don't/didn't get a police report, you may find the other's insurance company fight you and win! They'll say that with no report, there can be no blame pointed, therefore it's an-fault and you each take care of your own. Been there, done that, it completely sucked!!!
Mine was much worse- on the way home from HS in my red '65, passing a 'Y' intersection where I didn't have a stop, but the 90 yo lady on the left did. Well, she said she'd waited long enough (the HS just let out, so it was a parade of 100+kids) and pulled out! She 1st broadsided me in the driver's door- she came to an immediate stop as I rolled a little further; then to get out of the intersection, she floored it and rear ended me! The police report showed her at 100% fault TG, so I was able to get my car fixed. They 1st wanted to total it due to the extent, but my agent came through like a rock star!! Good luck with yours- hopefully it's taken care of properly

·
Registered
472 Posts
Unfortunate, but it’s easily a simple fix considering it’s a “bump” and not a major “crash”.

While it’s in the shop for the work, you should ask them what they would charge you to paint the entire car and what that $delta would be needed out of your pocket. So you could get the needed crash work done with the insurance $ and use your half $ to get the rest of the car done at the same time since it will already be there.

To do the fix properly, most shops would do the R&R for the fender plus the prep/paint for the fender and any decided paint blending to that side of body. If they’re going that far, IMO, it would not hurt to get a quote to what it would run to just do the entire car.

Also, get multiple body shop quotes. Go with a shop that is reputable (look for online reviews about them) and don’t be concerned with the actual crash repair cost, since the offender would be the one responsible for paying that $$$. Usually highest quote for repairs is best, but quality of work tops quote IMO.

Good luck and glad you were ok, cars can be fixed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If leo is already involved its a crime in most places to leave the scene, you don't do a thing, the state charges her and thats that...sounds like it was not on private property. Do you mean you had a GoPro running that captured the events!.... One more incident proving why we should all spend the 150 or whatever for some type of gopro...
On private property

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
On private property
Yeah. I don't know about that in your situation. She was off private property, "in traffic", and tossed it in reverse causing
damage while recklessly backing up. What if it had been a pedestrian she backed up into? That private property BS goes
right out the window. The key to the scenario is RECKLESS. Guy barrels off the freeway and smashes into the living room
of your house. That happened on private property too. I can think of a lot of other examples.

If she doesn't seek you out immediately, I'd find her car and leave a note. You could say "let's discuss this, we have you on
camera." You should have stayed for a place (police) report.....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are hit and run incidents common in the US? Someone would have to be a real low life to drive off after causing an accident.
Yes they are and most are done by illegal aliens. Then they haul ass for the border and get away with it. There was one in Denver about 3 years ago where they killed 4 people in downtown Denver, 17th/Calif streets. They caught the "individual" getting on a bus headed for Mexico.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is an easy one to deal with. Fix it to my satisfaction or I'll file a police report and then you get to get racked over the coals and still pay for it. Along with seeing it all over the internet , which stays on there forever and everyone knows.
Besides, I have no doubt that you've been tramatized from this also.
Had a Navy officer hit my son about 15 years ago, then tried to sue him for repairs to his car. Come to find out the officer didn't have car insurance, Which is required by Written Order in the military, and was trying to hide it. He was on Subs, (requires PRP program) and had violated a written order, AKA career ending move. I called the subs COB and told him what had happened. Called back the next day and the officer will be paying for everything immediately, with no other issues.
She probably doesn't have insurance or other paperwork. And if on school property, shame of her.

·
Premium Member
1966 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Ouch! Make sure her insurance company buys you a "real" fender.
Oh man, he's already having a bad day. lol. However, it could be a blessing in disguise. Real fender time!

·
Premium Member
1966 Ford Mustang
12 Posts
Yes I did recently to 18k it’s unpainted but everything else is done
Awesome man! Grab a fender, this is a huge blessing in disguise. Is your other fender bondo'd up as bad? If so, I would probably just buy the second one myself and be done with it.

- Clay

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I disagree with "pressing charges" etc.

Allow her (or parents) and or insurance to make it right.

It is a Class B misdemeanor, up to six months in a county jail, if the damage is more than $200.

Do you want her in jail?

For some damage to a Bondo Special dented up fender, I would allow them to "fix" it with a major upgrade to your less than perfect fender.

That fender was going to be either stripped back and repaired or scrapped anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are hit and run incidents common in the US? Someone would have to be a real low life to drive off after causing an accident.

Yeah we have more than our fair share of dirt bags. My step daughters husband is a retired deputy and he said that easily 80% of the people he encountered during traffic stops were uninsured. They were usually driving real POS's so when you impounded their vehicle they'd just go out and buy another $500 POS until the next time! Personally I'm an advocate for roadside executions!!

·
Registered
239 Posts

It is a Class B misdemeanor, up to six months in a county jail, if the damage is more than $200.

Do you want her in jail?

For some damage to a Bondo Special dented up fender, I would allow them to "fix" it with a major upgrade to your less than perfect fender.

That fender was going to be either stripped back and repaired or scrapped anyway.
I'm not a fan of pursuing charges either but if 5 Oh decides to prosecute the hit and run it would be appropriate.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts

Do you want her in jail?

I have to disagree. She committed a crime that she knew she committed and needs to face the consequences. What are the chances that she would actually go to jail for this? I would assume 0% if this is her first or even second offense. She'll pay a fine, have a few points on her record and a higher insurance rate. Her fault. And who cares what the condition of the fender was prior to her hitting it? Even if it was some POS car on the way to the junkyard, she still hit him and then took off. I've got a few things that I'd like to get redone on my car, but I want to do it on my time and not because some jerk hit it and then took off.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Alumnist be damned, have her charged. Way too many people in this world who don’t own up to their own actions. It’s a good life lesson for her.
If she gets away with this what next transgression will she run away from.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

Do you want her in jail?

If she wanted to make it right she could have stopped when she hit somebody instead of driving away. It matters not the condition of the car that was hit.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It's not up to you to "press charges". That is the job of the police and the prosecutor. They may do it even if you tell them not to. Your problem is a civil complaint. Someone damaged your car because they didn't operate the car they were driving in a proper manner. You have the right to ask for compensation. Chances are the person who hit ran off because they don't have insurance. That's another crime that may capture the attention of the police and the court. You need to get the person's identification and insurance information. If they don't do that then ask the police for help to get it. If they can't produce an insurance card then go to your local court and file a case in Conciliation Court. If the police choose to prosecute the person for leaving the scene of an accident, inattentive driving, no insurance, no license, expired plates, or anything else, it's out of your control. If she had simply stopped and done the right thing none of this would have happened.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Your problem is a civil complaint.
His situation actually has both civil and criminal aspects. (the latter in the leaving the scene of an accident, the location of said accident and the
reckless manner in which the accident occurred)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
His situation actually has both civil and criminal aspects. (the latter in the leaving the scene of an accident, the location of said accident and the
reckless manner in which the accident occurred)
I am encouraging him to pursue the civil damages and let the police and courts handle the criminal aspect.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Alumnist be damned, have her charged. Way too many people in this world who don’t own up to their own actions. It’s a good life lesson for her.
If she gets away with this what next transgression will she run away from.
What if it was your baby that was hit? Bondo or not?

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
I never mind completing a report for someone who has been genuinely wronged and at least giving them the correct information and option to prosecute. If it isn't written down, it never happened.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts