Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If an insurance company does offer a settlement, it will interesting to see if any custom bodywork to the fender would be covered. The fender lip is "flared", right?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Update she found me at school today nag gave me her insurance and number and name and will let the insurance take care she did try to find me after thinking I was gonna follow her and she turned into the south side of the school but I had to go all the way around because there was cars behind me so we just missed eachother but we both have insurance and she was a classic teenage driver she thought it was a curb she says And didn’t look when she reversed I feel like she should have to do drivers Ed and pay the costs of a new fender and I know my fender was a bondo mess but still it could have been a good fender

·
Registered
287 Posts
What was her attitude about it? Nice or the B word? The B word. File a police report and shove it up and break it off.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice to hear that she sought you out to start the process to make things right. Hope things go smooth from here and your car is repaired in short order.

Reactions: dacofa

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nice to hear that she sought you out to start the process to make things right. Hope things go smooth from here and your car is repaired in short order.
Yes but I do all the work myself and when I bought the car I didn’t look hard for bondo only rust and I have done EVERYTHING except the paint at this point and I’m very afraid and discouraged to start she is a bondo queen and a 17 year old doesn’t just have another 10 to spend on a coupe I’m already at 22 I’m learning and it’s my dream car definitely not a daily but it’s really stressful

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes but I do all the work myself and when I bought the car I didn’t look hard for bondo only rust and I have done EVERYTHING except the paint at this point and I’m very afraid and discouraged to start she is a bondo queen and a 17 year old doesn’t just have another 10 to spend on a coupe I’m already at 22 I’m learning and it’s my dream car definitely not a daily but it’s really stressful
No need to be discouraged, better that this happened before you got around to repainting your car. These cars are over 50 years old, most of them likely have Bondo in them somewhere. If its used correctly, there is nothing wrong with it. Get a replacement fender painted to match the rest of the car and drive and enjoy it. And maybe ask out the cute girl that dinged you.:p

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
No need to be discouraged, better that this happened before you got around to repainting your car. These cars are over 50 years old, most of them likely have Bondo in them somewhere. If its used correctly, there is nothing wrong with it. Get a replacement fender painted to match the rest of the car and drive and enjoy it. And maybe ask out the cute girl that dinged you.:p
My cars paint is gone jsut gone she will jsut pay me for a new fender and what it would cost to paint it because I don’t want one painted fender cuz I could change my min on color and it wouldn’t match because different mixes or clears etc

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
You both are learning valuable things about life and responsibility. Sounds like both your parents or mentors in life have done a good job and you all are to be congratulated. I wish you much success in repairing the car to better than before and perhaps in a new friendship.

Reactions: 5speed65

·
Registered
14 Posts
a few things here.

1. make sure you take your car and get a professional estimate for repair. This is gonna require more than just a fender and some paint. they will have to paint match and blend into the door and hood. This is probably gonna be a $1500-$2000 job. this is where insurance really helps.

2. i wouldn't stress over the small amount of bondo. Like others said, this car is 50 years old and has it's share of fixing over the years. Nothing wrong with using his as a chance to really go over the car with a fine tooth comb. I would expect a little in the doors from dings and some in the quarters from normal repairs. as long as they didn't use bondo to skip doing metal work, this is fine.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Words are one thing. Actions may not match. A while back, a lady rear-ended me in traffic and begged me not to wait for the police. Said she would pay out of pocket etc. Then the back pedaling began and finally I threatened with getting the authorities involved and after a few more fits and starts, she paid me the estimate from the body shop. Never again. I will always get a police report from now on. It's a shame people are crappy. Hopefully you do well here.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
@ylexot , I had a pretty nice F-150 parked in the lot at work about 1999 and a trucker was making a turn thru the lot, rear tires of the trailer caught my back bumper, picked up the truck and moved it about 3 feet. Messed up the bumper, corner of the bed, edge of the tailgate, broke the tail light. Trucker didn't want a report. Too bad. I got the local PD to make one and I gave the guy 10 days to pay for the damage himself. Day 9 came and I called to remind him his trucking company and insurance company were about to get a call from me. Check delivered on day 10.
If it isn't written down people, it didn't happen.
And don't wait too long to take action.

Reactions: Caper50
41 - 56 of 56 Posts