Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 coupe with a 289 in it. I have been wanting to build a 390 for it but I have a T5 with a 65 157 tooth bell housing. Will the bell fit the 390 and can i find a fly wheel and clutch that I can use or do i have to get a 164 tooth set up? Can I even use the T5 with a 164 tooth set up?

I don't want to loose overdrive.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
First of all, a 390 will not fit. A 289/302/5.0 will fit, as well as a 351w (and any stroker kit, because they all use the same block). They will all fit with the t5, the 390 will kill the t5 pretty quickly though (but it wont fit so.. yeah :: ).

build up that 289 and mount the t5 to it, just make sure you use the correct balance flywheel (28oz).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean it won't fit? The car mount wise or the 157 or 164 tooth bells won't fit?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
The engine is physically too big to fit inside. 390's came in 67-later cars, which had more clearance from the shock towers (which i believe was specifically so they could stuff a bigger engine in). 390's are nice, but most generally don't swap them in. It costs a lot more money, and you end up with quite a heavy engine in the front of the car, and parts are harder to find/more expensive.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
He means "it won't fit". 1/2" wrench on a 9/16" nut. The block is physically too big to fit between the shock towers. 67/68 engine bays are wider than 65-66's, which allowed them to wedge the big block in. You can force it to fit with serious surgery to remove the towers and modify the engine bay to enlarge the area.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW I am amazed I never knew that. You learn something new every day I guess.

So what about the bell housing?

Say in a 67 coupe with the same situation. What is the bell housing/fly wheel combo will work? I know that i would need to get a heavy duty WC with the 400 ft lb rating.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Windsor (302/5.0/351) engines use different bellhousings, and flywheels, than FE engines (390, 410, 427, 428...)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The flywheel you use has to match the engine you have. The Bellhousing has to match the block and flywheel. I don't know of any bellshousing to bolt a T5 to a 390. You might find an adapter plate. I'd still say it's a bad choice. The toque from the 390 will kill any T5. Get a Tremec or T56.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Why can't one take the top loader bell housing from an FE and use the T-5 adapter for the T-5 set up?

This would allow one to use all the stock 390 pieces like flywheel and clutches.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As has been mentioned, it's too big, the bolt pattern is different and in addition, a stock 390 4bbl makes 427 ft lbs of torque. IIRC, T5's are only rated for about 300 Ft Lbs.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
As has been mentioned, it's too big, the bolt pattern is different and in addition, a stock 390 4bbl makes 427 ft lbs of torque. IIRC, T5's are only rated for about 300 Ft Lbs.
The back of the bell housing for the top loader is the same as it is for any other ford car no matter big block or small block so the T-5 adapter should work.

I should have mentioned the stock T-5 would not handle the 390 very well. My point was to show that there is a way to mount the T-5 to a 390 if one wanted to.

If someone just wanted a nice cruising car with an OD gear then they could take this approach but if they wanted to run it hard then thats another story. I would also look at installing a Tremec but I have no clue if that shares the same mounting pattern as a T-5. Something tells me it doesn't.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was speaking about the bellhousing bolt pattern, not the transmission. Your question was about the bellhousing I believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts