Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I keep poppin courtesy light fuses. Sometimes I can go for 10 rides, and sometimes I go for 3-4 but the fuse will eventually pop?

Any ideas, since its not a constant problem? I dont leave doors open for extended time. I DC battery everytime in garage...?

Snell

·
Registered
90 Posts
Perhaps there is too much resistance in that circuit somewhere causing the fuse to blow (dirty connections, corroded wiring etc.).

·
Registered
501 Posts
i would start with the switches check resistance while you have them out

then check the resistance for each wire from the bulb socket to the fuse on the power side

and then check resistance for each ground

chris

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I should have been more clear in my original post...

All wiring, switches, etc, are all brand new. Thats actually why I am stumped. Nothjing is crimped, cracked broken anywhere on the lines, (at least that I have seen).

Will check continuity I guess.

Anything else?

Snell

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Snell,

Looking at the pictures of your car I should have guessed that!

Do you have a good multimeter?

Try taking the bulbs out and check for continuity from the fuse to ground (with the bulbs in you will have continuity to ground by design with the doors closed).

If you don't have continuity, put the bulbs back in and pull the fuse. Set the multimeter for DC amps (mine has a 10A fuse built in) and put one lead on each terminal where the fuse would go and see what kind of amperage you're getting.

Compare that to what the load should be and go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts