Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of us like a deal so here goes
Got Northern Tools latest flyer #247 they have the Hobart Handler135 mig w/gas kit on sale w/free shipping for $399.00
its #164692-B247

·
Registered
19,955 Posts
Check duty cycle. A lot of welders advertise good amp ratings, but have horrible duty cycles.

You get what you pay for. When I bought my mig welder 9 years ago, I was looking to spend that amoount. The more I learned about welders, the more I saved for a good one. I ended up with a HTP 140 amp, 120 volt unit. Haven't had a single problem, great welder!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Re:duty cycles...

For most casual users, a 10% duty cycle is usually adequate...that would mean 6 minutes of welding per hour...

Even when I'm doing steel fabrication, I rarely weld more than 20 minutes per hour....

One pays 5 or 6 times the price and units take up a comensurately higher amount of space for 80-100% duty cycle machines like I use.....of course, they'll likely last 50 years too, at least...*G*

Good point...definitely something to consider when comparing value..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you are correct duty cycle is important and the HTP's do rate highly in that area. In the amp range we will most likely be using doing 20 guage steel, 40amps? The Hobart has a 100% rating at 40amps at 50amp 70%. How likely is the chance that doing sheet metal we will need to run a continuous bead for 7minutes without stopping at 50amps, probably never The 140 HTP does have a 100% rating at 60 amps Yes indeed a better machine. The HTP will run you $1249.00 to get that. For that kind of cash you can get a Miller Mig 210 100% duty cycle at 130amps

·
Registered
657 Posts
I hate to expose my ignorance again, but what is a good welder to buy? This sounds like a great deal, and I have been looking at the Lincoln 135 at Lowes for $427. Is there really an advantage to a part time, old car welding newbie like me to spend that kind of money when there is an 85 amp welder sitting next to it for $200 or so? Even has the Lincoln name on it if I remember correctly. And is gas a necessity for sheet metal? I am getting close to making a purchase I am going to have to live with for a while. Any words of wisdom guys?

·
Registered
657 Posts
They got a web site?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Rod
Do a search on welders. You will find a tremendous amount covered here on welders and welding.
Dave

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Hobart or the Lincoln?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I hate to expose my ignorance again, but what is a good welder to buy?

You've got me man *G*...last time I bought a welder (like you're contemplating) was in 1981....and I've never shopped for a welder for personal use, even though that's what I used my first one (TIG) for...building the race car chassis....price of admission back then (no inexpensive inverter welders then) was about 2.5K...

As far as Lincoln goes, well, I'll let this picture speak for itself...
IMO, built like a tank to last forever, with a comensurate price tag...

·
Registered
657 Posts
OK, even if you haven't purchased one since the last Bush was president, you obviously know welders. Do I need to spend $400 or can I do just as well with $200? If I do spend the $400 should I go with the Lincoln or the Hobart? You seem to appreciate the Lincoln if your picture is any indication.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I had hoped to beg off because I'm a complete Lincoln believer...it's like a religion among welders, and you know what they say about debating politics and religion...*G*

My absolute first welder (the one I learned on back the 1970's) was a Lincoln 250 amp AC/DC machine (stick welder). I paid 275.00 for it new back then...fast forward 3 decades....notwithstanding Ronnie Raygun *G*...

If I was going to use a welder with any regularity and wanted high quality results (not just sticking together angle iron), I'd go with a Lincoln unit in the 4-600.00 range.

Otherwise, if welding was only to be done occasionally, I'd just rent a good unit, do the job, and save the investment for something else..

Don't forget to give your local welding supplier a shot at your purchase; they'll have machines set up to live demo and can answer most all questions you might have. Their prices aren't all that bad either, once you talk with them for awhile..*G*

Good luck!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Followed you advice and you were right. I didn't really find anything that answered my question though. Thanks for the info never the less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts