Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 1969 mustang that has a 302 from 1987-89. It was installed by my dad many years ago and it is tired. I pulled it out to do a rebuild, not only did I find some cylinders that looked like they were not firing (black), I had some water in oil, and head gaskets that were shot. But after pulling intake and heads and lifters, I discovered this hole at the front of the motor near the distributor. I I’ve got a sick feeling that there is no coming back from this and not repairable. Any thoughts or suggestions on my next course of action???
This is just a cruising normal running mustang, not looking for anything high horsepower here.
Thanks for the help!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,427 Posts
Ugly and horrible looking though isn't it? Look down in the distributor hole to see another godawful casting area that's absolutely normal but looks terribly damaged.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
In the upper right hand corner, there looks to be a crack in the casting. To prevent the crack from spreading, might be a good idea to clean up that area. Looks like the lower edge was already addressed. You are in there, maybe sending the block out to a shop to be cleaned up and freshened would be a good idea?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,427 Posts
What's in the picture is the way it left the foundry when new. The factory did the grinding and the apparent small crack is absolutely meaningless.

Reactions: Sjsomers

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Actually, when I detailed my block, I pretty'd up that hole using a carbide cutter on a Dermal. After which, I chamfered the oil return holes in the valley area and painted it. Yes it looks ugly!

Reactions: Sjsomers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugly and horrible looking though isn't it? Look down in the distributor hole to see another godawful casting area that's absolutely normal but looks terribly damaged.
Thank you! Such a relief to hear this is normal, just doesn't seem like a hole like that would come from the factory!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the upper right hand corner, there looks to be a crack in the casting. To prevent the crack from spreading, might be a good idea to clean up that area. Looks like the lower edge was already addressed. You are in there, maybe sending the block out to a shop to be cleaned up and freshened would be a good idea?
Thanks! Heading out to the shop soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts