Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've had to put in a carb spacer for clearance issues I'm really, REALLY close to having the air cleaner screw/nut scrape up the underside of my hood. I was thinking of cutting a 5" hole directly over the air cleaner (I have a filter top K&N). It should be hidden quite well under the scoop and I even plan on fashioning a plug of some type that I could install when I want to seal it off (car wash, caught in rain, etc). I realize the gains from natural air induction are minimal but it would solve my clearance issues as an added bonus :).

Aside from the danger of the actual cutting process can anyone think of any issues with doing this? I was thinking of using a 5" metal hole saw.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You have a hood scoop and no hole in your hood?..Shame on you.. ;)
I do not normally drive my car in the rain but I did get caught out in a severe down pour last summer..I puttered through town and got home and into the garage..When I lifted my hood much to my surprise there was no trace of water anywhere on the engine or air cleaner lid...Might be worse if you were running at hwy speeds though..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I am curious, are you also using a 1-1/4'' Drop Base?
K&N 60-1280 K&N Universal Round Air Cleaners

Even with doing this I was alittle to close using a 3 inch high filter. I switched to a 2.3 inch High KN filter and now have room. The 2.3 inch filter was just a hair to small for the unit you see in the link but just alittle foam like that used to seal home door gaps in the winter made up the heigth difference and sealed it up fine. I just ran that on the outer edges of the filter so it sealed up tight in the cleaner unit.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
J,
If you want to accurately measure the clearance, there's an easy way.
You'll need some putty and saran wrap (paper will suffice).
Lightly tape some saran wrap to the underside of your hood, just above the air cleaner.
Lay a piece on top of your air cleaner lid, (with the nut in place).
Now put a golf-ball size lump of putty on the nut.
Gently shut your hood and make sure it latches.
Wait a few minutes for the putty to compress.

When you open the hood, the putty thickness is your clearance.
(Duct seal, play-dough, silly putty, plumbers putty will all work)

or you can cut the hood as you mentioned.
MB

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't use too much of a drop base or the air cleaner will hit the dizzy. I have one of the GM style all in one giant distributors. I'll post a pic here in a little bit. One of the reasons I went with a carb spacer was to have the air cleaner (and carb) clear the distributor. I need to fit a straight export brace in there as well and this gives me a little more play room.

I did the putty trick with a little piece of foam rubber. It lasts long enough to get an idea of what clearance I have (or don't, obviously) :).

I've heard that you really won't get much water in there from rain but I'd like to have the ability to plug that hole up if needed. The car is garage kept but I foresee many car washes!

·
Registered
637 Posts
My '66 used to have a Shelby fiberglass hood with an open scoop and I never got a drop of rain in there. One memorable time it snowed while the car was in a parking lot. I only had one round patch of paint visible on the hood- around the scoop :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would do the ball of clay test first before you go cutting. I have a spacer under my carb too and there is more room than you might think. Don't go looking across fenders with the open hood and worry about your air cleaner sticking up, as the hood is somewhat "domed" in the center.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't clear enough on that original post. If I put the engine under load the twist WILL cause the bolt to touch the hood :) . It's that close.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oh, ...then it looks like you have a figerglas hood? Be sure your holesaw pilot drill is set for minimal depth that it doesn't drill thru the top of the scoop. If it's a steel hood, I just use a sabersaw for mine and worked like a champ. No waves and looked very professional looking...but I cut mine from the top before the scoop was installed.
At the car wash I used to just stuff a micro fiber cloth in the scoop hole, but now I don't do that, as I just stand at the rear of the hood and spray forwards.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The hole you describe is only good for letting hot air out of the engine compartment. No "ram" effect from a scoop that low so no cold air will enter the scoop at all.

Do it if you want but don't count on any performance increase.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would cut the stud flush with the top of the nut, or get a button head socket bolt (everyone calls them allens) to secure the air cleaner.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I had one of those MSD GM looking dist. for a while and ran the curved monte carlo bar. I hated the dist and had the GM guys pick at me. Looks like you have a tal manifold of some type. I would replace the dist and remove the carb spacer and problem solved. Then it would look all FORD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts