1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have question from my body guy.
I have following situation:
20200216_134929.jpg

Am I correct that those holes are for upper arm lube ?
I have purchased (waiting fro delivery) blueprinted control arm from Opentrackerracing with 1" drop. Should I ask to lower those holes or will not need them anymore ?
When I see picture with new towers there are not such holes on them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but they weren't there from the factory. Somebody put them there. Put 90 degree zerk fittings on the UCA's and you don't need holes at all.
ok this is what I supposed. Some car has it and on some it was not visible. I will ask to remove them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That was the lazy way to grease the upper control arms.
Installing the 90 degree fittings was a pain, but at least they installed fittings!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
they always look horrible.
my paint guy closed them up

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Always amazes me that they went through the effort to cut the holes just to grease the fittings. Nowadays, they'd just skip them and chock it up to no access. I've seen some cut nice and clean while others were just butchered.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Yep, I've welded many such holes, and some were butcher jobs. On 65-66, any 90° zerk will do, but 67-70 require special low-profile zerks. Even the 65-66 needs the special fittings if you do the Arning drop.

Chopping such holes is a lot more work than installing zerk fittings.

Reactions: coupesix

·
Registered
383 Posts
The '65-'66 Mustangs that I have I owned, the upper control arms eventually started squeaking real bad with every bump. They came with grease zerk holes but the factory plug the holes instead of installing zerks???? You just had to remove the plugs and install the 90 degree zerks in them. Even when you greased them that didn't last long and they would start squeaking again. My dad had a new '65 Mustang and after a couple of year's he had to constantly grease the upper control arms to make the squeaking go away. That's absolute butchery to cut holes like that!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Those plugs were supposed to be removed at first service. Seemed like a way to either

A) ensure the service was done correctly, and most likely by Ford
B) Guarantee new control arms.

·
Registered
10,979 Posts
according to the literature I've read Ford did not intend for the caps to be removed touting the control arm to be life time lubed

·
Registered
69 Posts
Careful what you ask for - removing a hole may lead to the collapse of the universe as we know it! Yes - holes were burned through the shock towers to aid in greasing the arms - and some as in the case of my 68 they were done horribly. I filled the roughly burned ~1 1/2" holes in my shock towers with the same thickness material after smoothing out the rough burn hole, making a template on cardboard of each and cutting the steel slightly smaller, then alternately tacking with weld, the entire circumference, on both sides of the patch and grinding it all smooth as to be invisible after priming and painting. I installed low-profile 90 degree zerk fittings to aid in later maintenance. Looks to me like your body guy will do a great job.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Yea for what I remember reading long ago, Ford had a chassis lube service program. So the make it easy to grease, they blew a hole in towers with a torch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts