Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending 2 1/2 hours taking off old body filler I find these holes. Obviously from prior body work being done. I'm going to continue to get the metal prepped but my question is how do I address these holes. I'm not a welder. Should I "punch" out the filler in the holes? Can I just lay over new filler to fill the holes? These holes are on the right hand rear quarter panel just below rear window.
Nature Azure Grey Freezing Atmospheric phenomenon
Liquid Grey Tints and shades Art Glass

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,138 Posts
Those are remnants of a bygone dent removal procedure. Put screws in the dented area, use a slide hammer to pull the dent and slather on the filler. I'd weld em up, but there's many a car out there with holes under filler just like this.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,138 Posts
But if you're going this deep into the restoration. You really need a mig welder. A cheap 110v, (not Flux core) harbor freight mig welder will work for what you'll need. It takes minimal practice to get good enough to weld up stuff like this.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The guy who did paint and body on a friend’s Nova glued small pieces of sheet metal behind the trim holes then used filer. I don’t know what he used for “glue”.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Clamp copper plate on back, weld up, grind smooth, sand, prime and paint?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd weld it or have somebody else to weld it. I'd be afraid that if the holes are left that moisture would get in behind the filler and cause rust. That being said it looks like it has held up good so far.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
You do not need copper backing to weld those up.
I thought maybe it would help prevent heat warping and blow through but I'm not really a welder.

Reactions: MSMach1

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
1,773 Posts
The "best" thing to do is weld the holes up...however, I found the same thing on my 67, which I owned since 1970, and the paint / bondo was in perfect condition, so it held up for 50 years.

·
Registered
41,557 Posts
If you're not going to weld them up then I'd put some foil tape on the back side and fill with low-temp solder, like MuggyWeld, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,269 Posts
I thought maybe it would help prevent heat warping and blow through but I'm not really a welder.
I have copper paddle that I place behind the hole as a backer. The MIG wire doesn't stick to copper. Treat it like a "rosette" or spot weld.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I have copper paddle that I place behind the hole as a backer. The MIG wire doesn't stick to copper. Treat it like a "rosette" or spot weld.
Ken if you require copper to weld a hole shut, we need to revisit your welding skills ;)

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
I hate it when non-experts expound on topics they don't know anything about....
Well, I'm only an expert on a few things I'm sure you know absolutely nothing about. However, I've welded just enough to know I wouldn't want to mess up my Mustang and I'd probably put something back there to be on the safe side myself, so it damn sure wouldn't hurt anyone else. I'm still learning so stand back.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well, I'm only an expert on a few things I'm sure you know absolutely nothing about. However, I've welded just enough to know I wouldn't want to mess up my Mustang and I'd probably put something back there to be on the safe side myself, so it damn sure wouldn't hurt anyone else. I'm still learning so stand back.
Your response was pretty unequivical,

"Clamp copper plate on back, weld up, grind smooth, sand, prime and paint."

Sounded like you knew exactly what to do. Then when corrected you say "... but I'm not really a welder"

If you are an expert at something I applaud you but I won't claim to be an expert at anything, not even about sniping although I spent more than 20 years involved in Special Operations sniping and was even the NCO of the Special Operations Sniper School (SOTIC) at Fort Bragg.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,138 Posts
Your response was pretty unequivical,

"Clamp copper plate on back, weld up, grind smooth, sand, prime and paint."

Sounded like you knew exactly what to do. Then when corrected you say "... but I'm not really a welder"

If you are an expert at something I applaud you but I won't claim to be an expert at anything, not even about sniping although I spent more than 20 years involved in Special Operations sniping and was even the NCO of the Special Operations Sniper School (SOTIC) at Fort Bragg.
The issue is, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with his suggestion. Needed, probably not, have a less than desirable outcome? Not a chance. Take your attempts at appeal to authority an roll on. He said nothing incorrect.

Reactions: myfirstcar66
1 - 20 of 20 Posts