Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine is a 73 -302, mild cam, C-4 tran. The carb has the "trick" screw in the vac secondary linkage. This car came from Chicago to SLc, Ut. Elevation is 4100 ft in SLC. I dropped the jet size by 2 (69 to 67) and the power valve by one. Took both A/F screws to seats and backed off 1 turn. Retimed and verified dwell settings.

Engine runs real good, but has a slight hesitation. To put it into words when I smash the throttle from idle, or decel, It goes .... "whut - whaaa". I know that looks goofy but I tried to put the sound into words. If the engine is slightly reving everything is OK. Do I need to drop some more jet sizes? Plus at idle there is a good amount of condensation from the exhaust. No major fuel smells, a bit, but not much. One of the locals told me that carb would not work very well. he said I needed a high altitude version.

Oh another thing. the P.O. removed the kick down rod from the C-4. That seems stange to me.

Thanks

Layne

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

G

·
0 Posts
First Remove the "TRICK" screw
By forcing the secondaries to open before the motor can use them and providing no enrichment to the incoming mixture is causing the whut-whaaa. This is the reason all mech.secondary Holleys have a primary and secondary accelerator pump to provide the needed pump shot as the secondaries open
If you would like to have the secondaries open sooner get a lighter vacuum chamber spring to allow faster opening

Greg B

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah but another P.O. item that has caused me stress!!!

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Another day, another lesson. And I have been involved in this hobby for 10 years and I really didn't know this. Thanks, I knew there was an explanation to doublepumper. Two pumps, should have guessed but never really tried, LOL. It's funny to use terms without really knowing why they are called that but knowing that you are using term correctly. I remember the time when I didn't know what the heck Mickey was doing in Chevy.

Door handle first when cornering

1 - 4 of 4 Posts