Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy oh boy, do I have questions today.

I've got a performer 289 intake and holley list 8005 600 cfm four barrel to replace my stock 2 barrel and intake.

1. Would you use any spacer between the carb and manifold and which kind (4 hole or single square hole)? Do you see any performance increase in using one? I suppose a spacer made out of wood would be out of the question!?... I know..I'm cheap.

2. Would you port the intake at all and have you noticed any gains or should just clean up casting flash ?

3. The filter that comes built in the carb is a mesh screen filter made of metal (brass I think). Is this good enough to filter the fuel or should I also install an external filter before the carb?

4. The holley 600 carb I have is a vac.sec. with #622 main jet and mtering block or plate for the secondaries. Does this sound like a good starting point for the jets? I'll probably get the kit to convert it to jets on the secondary side later but, I thought I would try and see how it would run. I've also got the black spring for the secondary side and was thinking I should use a lighter one. Any suggestions?.

As for the rest of the carb, I'll see how it runs and fiddle with it. This is going on a stock block 289.

Thanks for any input, Timo.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have the same basic setup I'm putting on mine. I'm still in the process of putting it back together but I did use a phenolic 4 bore 1" carb spacer.
I also put on an external fuel filter just to be safe. I got a nice one from edelbrock. Chrome ends with clear clear tube in the middle, replaceable mesh filter.
For the extra $10 or so it's definatley worth it to add an external filter.
Don't know about porting the intake. I just left mine stock for now.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have the same basic setup, no spacer (do not bash me on this one, guys). I also have a clear inline filter before the carb.

No porting, just slapped it on and go. I went with the electric choke, although now it is dialed way down. The only problem I'm having now is a slightly elevated idle speed -but nothing some more tinkering can't fix.

Paul

·
Registered
19,972 Posts
As the others have said, just slap it on. An open spacer is kind of a crutch to increase the plenum of the maifold if it's too small for the engine.

Here's a picture of the linkage hook up on my 66. Although it's an Edelbrock, it still applies. I bought a spherical end from Grainer, it was cheap and works very well. I made a new linkage up with some round stock, but you could just cut down the stock linkage and thread the rod. I think it was a 10/24 thread IIRC.
http://a1.cpimg.com/image/A9/DC/12037801-d91b-02000152-.jpg

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I never had the two-barrell on it (I bought it with the Performer and holley, but had to rebuild the motor anyway). With a highway rear (2.80 or 3.00 - the jury's still out on that one) It can flat get up and go! Now, I am not real big on running fast on the street, but it is nice to be able to get out of the hole quickly.

Does burn some fuel, though. Hopefully dropping the idle another 200rpm will help.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for th pic, I am having a devil of a time retaining that stock linkage to the holley. Good tip (can I send you my rod and have you modify it for me?)/forums/images/icons/wink.gif Err...my accellerator linkage rod, that is

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
1.) Run a spacer if you have the room (hood clearance), otherwise don't worry about it. Be careful closing the hood for the first time!!! You liable to dent the hood with the carb stud.

2.) Clean up the casting flash if you want, but don't mess with the intake runners. You're more likely to make things worse rather than better. Polished/smooth surfaces can cause fuel condensation problems, and laminar flow (when you really want turbulent flow to help mix the air and fuel). Also, and more importantly, if you port, the bigger ports will slow down the velocity.

3.) If the screen is a wire mesh screen, then run an external filter. If it looks like a chunck of brass, then it's fine by itself. Consider one of the Summit fuel line w/ filter and fuel pressure gauge kits for around $30.

4.) 622? I'm assuming those are 62's? You'll likely find those are way too rich for your 289. The only way to tell is to drive it around and check your plugs. Remember, most Holley carbs (and Edelbrock too for that matter) are setup for a 350 Chevy out of the box. Also, they are jetted rich rather than lean so you don't bolt them on and melt a piston. You may end up having to advance your timing to compensate as well. On the secondary spring, use the second to lightest spring, and adjust from there.

Any more Q's just ask.

Edited to add: Make sure your air cleaner will be able to keep up with the extra demands. And wood spacers are OK, but need to be made from plywood, and constantly inspected for vacuum leaks. I used to know of a source for them acutally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts