Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a 4160 Holley with an electric choke on my 67 Mustang 289, and looking for the best location to get 12V to the choke. Anybody have any suggestions for the best location to connect to? The options under the hood seem limited.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Some folks suggest the STATOR connection at the rear of the alternator, and others suggest the power wire going to the motor for the heater fan. I'm about ready to hookup a new carburetor with an electric choke, and think I'm going to go with the STATOR connection.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,496 Posts
Ford hooked all theirs up to the stator connector, even those that got Holley/Motorcraft carburetors from the factory. It's always worked for me and you can't beat the simplicity.

Much as I would have loved to just say "even those that got HOLLEY's" from the factory I just know someone would chime in to educate me about how 4180's aren't exactly 100% Holleys even though I already know exactly what they are as I own two of them. Because you often get that sort of stuff on internet forums.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ford hooked all theirs up to the stator connector, even those that got Holley/Motorcraft carburetors from the factory. It's always worked for me and you can't beat the simplicity.
Much as I would have loved to just say "even those that got HOLLEY's" from the factory I just know someone would chime in to educate me about how 4180's aren't exactly 100% Holleys even though I already know exactly what they are as I own two of them. Because you often get that sort of stuff on internet forums.
Gypsy,
I read somewhere that the stator connection provides a lower voltage (<12v) and that Ford's chock heater was designed for the lower voltage. When a Holley or other after-market electric heater designed for a full 12v is connected to the stator that it results in a slow opening of the choke. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Mine has worked perfectly for 32 years hooked to the stator terminal.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I ran a wire to the peg on the back of the ignition switch, but then I changed it to a 12V switched source on my new under dash wiring harness

·
Registered
941 Posts
When I put on my new Holly 2bbl, the directions said it must have 12v keyed. I measured the blower and it was 12v keyed, so I made a little adapter to bridge the plug and I used that. Avoided modifying the original wiring. I never looked into other options.

·
Registered
37,811 Posts
The STATOR terminal on the alternator provides 1/2 the charging voltage or about 7.1 volts, DC. The nice thing about using the STATOR terminal is that power is only generated when the alternator is turning. No power when the key is "ON" and the engine not running. Never had any issues running the choke heater off the STATOR terminal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts