Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to lean my carb i turn the gas side screws counter clockwise or clockwise ?
im not much of a mecanic lol i just know its running rich lol

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Most turn in to lean out the idle mixture. What carb? Somewhere between 1 and 1.5 turns out is usually where they run best. If it's outside of that range there's probably some other issue.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
When is it running rich ? At idle, or when accelerating, cruising, or full throttle ? Adjusting the idle mixture screws (clockwise) will only affect the idle to any measurable degree, and the cruise circuit somewhat.

Adjusting the idle mixture screws to change rich running under acceleration or full throttle won't be enough to make a difference.

Z

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
As stated, those screws are for idle.

What model is your Holley?

The Holley carburetor has replaceable jets (internally) that control mixture.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seems rich all the time now and smells like gas all the time even when the can isnt running and i cant find any leaks .

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
seems rich all the time now and smells like gas all the time even when the can isnt running and i cant find any leaks .
Before you do anything else, lower the float level by 4 flats (at least) of the float adjusting nuts. Even when set by the factory spec. the float level is too high in Holley carburetors . It wil give you rich running across all of the rpm range, and idle.

Regarding Bartl's post, is this new issue, or ongoing ? If new check the components he listed, if ongoing, lower the float level first.

Z

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you do anything else, lower the float level by 4 flats (at least) of the float adjusting nuts. Even when set by the factory spec. the float level is too high in Holley carburetors . It wil give you rich running across all of the rpm range, and idle.

Regarding Bartl's post, is this new issue, or ongoing ? If new check the components he listed, if ongoing, lower the float level first.

Z
how do u lower the float level ?

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
Can you post a photo of your carb. Most (modern) Holley's have a large nut on the top of each float bowl with a set screw in the middle of it. You loosen the set screw and turn the nut clockwise to lower the float level, then tighten the set screw. I'd change the float level 4 flats of the nut initially . If that seems to be helping, try another 2 flat adjustment.

Z.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you post a photo of your carb. Most (modern) Holley's have a large nut on the top of each float bowl with a set screw in the middle of it. You loosen the set screw and turn the nut clockwise to lower the float level, then tighten the set screw. I'd change the float level 4 flats of the nut initially . If that seems to be helping, try another 2 flat adjustment.

Z.
i dont have a pic il take one tom and check if it has that screw . i think its a old carb thow i was told .. what r 'flats' ?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
If it's not the float it's the power valve causing it to run rich, as Bart already suggested. Has your car backfired recently? That can and will blow out the power valve. Or the power valve could have just gone bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
The adjusting nut on top of the float bowl has six sides, each side is called "a flat"

Here is a photo of a Holley carb with the adjusting nut and set screw clearly visible on top of each float bowl

Z

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The adjusting nut on top of the float bowl has six sides, each side is called "a flat"

Here is a photo of a Holley carb with the adjusting nut and set screw clearly visible on top of each float bowl

Z
ok nice im going to go turn it down now 4 flats and il go try it tom morning see if its better after

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i loosened the screw and gas started coming out , i turned them down 4 flats . is it normal that gas started pooring out ?

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
Is it normal if you have the motor running. With the motor off, only a tiny bit of should come out with the screw loosened.
Don't adjust this with the motor running .

Z

1 - 20 of 22 Posts