Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How am I supposed to retain the throttle rod to the linkage on a Holley 8xxx series? The rod goes in with no problem, and hasn't fallen out while driving, but let me just reach near it, and "plink" the end is laying on the manifold. I have tried linkage clip after linkage clip, and they all interfere with the carb linkage, either before engaging, or on throttle motion. I'm thinking of using a bent hairpin and making my own $%#!ing retainer.

I know, I should buy an Edelbrock.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I used a Holley 600 for many many years, and did something kinda screwy to keep the rod in the hole. Don't laugh, but I jammed a toothed lockwasher on the rod tip after passing it through the throttle linkage hole. The lockwasher, maybe a #10 or #12, had the teeth on the inside of the hole, so they grabbed the throttle linkage rod end.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to get a push-on nut to work, but all the ones I could find were too large. I will try your idea (couldn't hurt)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that must be an awfully small drill bit! like 1/32" or what? How did you keep it on the round rod?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I cheated. I used a hammer on the anvil end of a bench vise and put a little flat spot on the end of the rod, then put a ding in it with a centerpunch. Going really slow with the drill is a good idea too.

I tried a speed nut, but I couldn't get it to start because of the small clearance, I thought about threading the end and using a nyloc nut to hold it on but in the end a cotter key seemed the best idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts