Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clear sight plugs on the Holley on my son's coupe ain't clear no more. They have become clouded and very hard to see through. I'm guessing these clear sight plugs unscrew just like any other brass sight plug does. Am I right?

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, they are just like the old metal ones, the unscrew.

Mine broke right off after they became unclear. What happened was the "head" portion started breaking away from the "threaded" portion. In the end, the head broke off completely from the threaded portion. Thank goodness the threaded portion stayed in place or the gas would have come right out of the carb.

Upon closer inspection, the cloudy appearance came from the hair line cracks and crazing as the plastic was breaking apart. I replaced it with a metal one from an older Holley Carb. It's still on my to do list to send the broken plastic one back to Holley.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought maybe something in the tank must have caused mine to cloud up this way. But I guess the clear sight plugs are just a good idea gone bad. I've got a few donor Holleys in the shed, time to go back to the old school brass screws.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts