Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just received my new Holley Street Avenger 670cfm to replace my eddy. Looking to buy a slick fuel feed for the carb. Any pros/cons to getting a solid log over the flexible braided ones? Below is the one i'm looking at. Anyone have any slick solutions to the dual feed of holleys? I remember Johnpro having problems getting the cheaper Mr. Gasket chrome ones sealed, so not looking to go that route :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel...ryZ33551QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ag/4d/1c7d_1_sbl.JPG

That's about the max i'm looking to spend on this. Summit has some cool ones but $200 is a bit insane :p

They do have a few that are flexible. Let me know your thoughts

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/rus-641093_w.jpg

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-220100n_w.jpg

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-220100b_w.jpg

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-220100_w.jpg

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that one and the first one with the black braided hose caught my eye. Not a fan of the overall shape of the first one though. I think there should be more fittings on the back feed. I'm sure i'll eventually put in an electric fuel pump and run all new braided lines but not now. I don't think i could slide a few more benjamins past the wife after the carb purchase :lol: Not...that....she wears the pants in the family :p

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
THIS FUEL LINE IS A PIECE OF CRAP DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR IT!!!!!

i just went through and i'm still going through a fuel line ordeal on my holley DP

the 3 bottom choices are better they have inverted AN fittings for the fuel inlet.

I'm going through issues with EARL's fuel lines right now.

its been 3 months of hell for me finding a line that does not leak.

The solid log, might be a problem if you don't have clearance, try to get a fuel line with Swival seals. and make sure you have cork or plastic gaskets for the connection to the holley fuel bowl inlets. and remove any interior fuel filters the holley has on the intake many of the an fuel lines do not have clearance for internal filters and it will cause you a world of hurt.

alot of the fuel lines come with Metal shim seals, just like the stock connections holley provides these do not seal properly with the new fittings and cause leaks. thats why i went with EARL's plumbing since it was the only company giving cork seals, and plastic seals. I have yet to see a company that provides o-ring seals for fuel lines, i really wish somebody did, the current selection of fuel lines is TERRIBLE.

also a lot of fuel lines that use fuel pressure gauges or have the plugged hole for them tend to leak over time.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips Jim. I'm curious how close the tolerance is with the log. I'm sure the extensions are the same length, so the only difference would be the diameter of the log compared to the diameter of the hose used on the flexible pieces.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
my experience with fixed size fuel lines, like a line meant only for a 4150 or 4160 or demon carb is that they leak. The tolerance varies even from carb to carb because of the gaskets and how tight you make things, even holley admits the tolerances are bad. some of the fuel logs are adjustable.
The major problems i've had are from the holley style fuel bowl threads, i kept having leaks from the fuel bowls, and eventually i changed the fuel bowls themselves and installed all new seals.
Then i discovered that some AN fittings are designed to be used once. a lot of AN to Hose fittings are like this, appearently unless the AN fitting says its reusable when you go to install the old fitting on a new one the sucker leaks!
thats why i said go for the ones that say swival seal, almost all of them claim they are reusable.

i wouldn't have believed it myself, but after a conversation with Earl's plumbing, and a bunch of fittings that were ok then suddenly began leaking, and pulling all my hair out, i'm not taking chances anymore.

i went through a PILE! of fuel lines :(

anything with a NPT fitting, or requiring plumbers tape to seal, stay away from for fuel lines.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I to have been having the same issues Jim has run into but have fixed the problem with Jeg's line for my double pumper. Before getting Jeg's line all that I got from summit were crappie.

Nevertheless, I am happy now.

Thanks,
Rus

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
yhea i'm having a pickle of time...

its been one problem after another.

My original line, was a cheapie chrome thing from mr gasket. So this cheap junk line lasted like 7 years.

i was doing some work on the carb and i changed my fuel pump. put everything back together, and my cheap mr gasket chrome fuel line broke a weld right at the junction where the 2 lines merge.

Great! so began hell this was back in june 2007!

So i buy another mr gasket i install it, and Blamo huge fuel leak.
so i buy a summit racing verison same problem

so i broke down and bought a holley line.
the holley line was even worse and the chrome peeled off it,
in the process i damaged my original fittings in the holley fuel bowls.

So i bought replacements, and then i bought that russel fuel line piece of junk.
So the specs on that black russel line claimed it was a -6an, So not only did i buy an expensive fuel line, but i bought expensive fittings,, i never worked with AN before.

the fuel line shows up, and its NPT not AN!!! #%)#$)%#). So i hunted all over for a 5/16 hose to 1/4 threaded insert, i loaded everything up with teflon tape and yup it leaked, i tightened it down and snaped the weld on the front fuel inlet.
that was like 60$ right in the toilet.

this was over 2 months, i;m working on other parts of the car in the mean time, now its september.
I ordered a Earl's fuel line, i installed it.. ok no leaks or so i thought.
i noticed that my seals were not leaking outright, but the seals were always wet and you could smell fuel, so i tightened them and BLAMO the seals broke, i buy new cork seals and put everything back together again, and my secondary fuel bowl is leaking,,, i discovered i wrecked my fuel bowl threads from taking things on and off a BAZILLION times.... So i ordered new replacement fuel bowls i rebuilt the carb i installed replacement EARL's plumbing fittings, i go to start it up, and BLAMO the front inlet from the hose to the AN fitting is now leaking, it wasn't before WTF!

so after phone calls i have to order more parts.
and i'm in my 5th! 5th! (repeating) month of this nightmare.

i have read a ton of articles about this, i'm not the only one having these problems, i don't know if its the cheap junk coming in from china or what but it has become impossible finding a fuel line that seals properly.

i'm almost ready to through my carb across the garage into a wall. i'm spoking to more people then i can remember about this and no body has a good solution.

i've tried every trick and some i made up.

:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts