Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new engine should be done at the end of the week: '68 302 block .040 over, stock crank, windage tray, cheap Scat I-Beams (a little better than stock), KB312 pistons, all balanced, Trick Flow heads, Comp 284HR roller cam (224 @ 0.050, .533 lift, 110 lobe separation), Demon/Proform 750. Compression should be around 10.2:1. I can't wait!

So I've decided to get rid of my loud Holley Blue Electric Fuel Pump and bought a Holley mechanical, PN 12-289, off ebay.
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/689808/2097526/66142086.jpg
Holley puts these cheap black screws in it. I figure in a month or so they'll be rusting. So I look for stainless replacements, at several places. . . Holley uses an oddball 10-32 1-7/8" long screw, which is a little too long. Today I finally found some 1-3/4" SS screws at Maselli's in Petaluma:

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/689808/2097526/66142083.jpg
It looks way better with the SS hardware, well worth the $.65 ea I paid, IMO. If they were 1/16" longer they'd sit perfectly flush with the top of the pump. At least they won't be rusting on me. :) I also found some 3/8" NPT-3/8" barb fittings. They'll have to do until my budget permits an AN fittings investment.

Robert

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
Congrats, now you'll get to do it all over again when you try to install it on the motor.

The side outlets don't work for a SBF engine. The 90's run right into the timing cover and/or block. You'll have to get a bottom outlet plate.

By the time I was done installing one, I think the total cost was about $100 for the pump and plate, not happy was I ::

Try www.mcmaster.com for all your hardware needs.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with Hemikiller. Your going to have problems getting the lines to fit right. You would have been better off going with the Carter mechanical fuel pump. Also this pump is overkill for your engine. I agree they look great. My youngest son also bought one and it's sitting on my garage shelf.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's a bummer. I'm heading out to the shop to see how it'll fit and see what I might have to do. Thanks all.

Robert

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pump interfered with the timing cover, so I rounded the edge down with a die grinder. To clear the oil filter, I rotated the bottom one hole short of 90 degrees. It looks like it'll work fine.

Robert

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I bought the Holley 12-289 from Summit ($75) for the Fastback. When it came time to install the pump, I couldn't get the "opposing" fitting arrangement to work for me, particularly since the driver's side water pump inlet is also in the area. I called Summit and Holley and they told me there was a replacement pump that had more friendly SBF fitting locations. This pump is #12-289-11. Since the two pumps cost the same, they made an exchange. I liked this pump since it didn't require a fuel pressure regulator. Summit also has a great 4V Holley carb inlet piping set that has an internal filter and a fuel pressure gauge (#SUM-G3120 $42 all chrome) that allowed me to plumb the pressure side of the pump with all hard-line (no rubber hoses, clamps). The fuel pump has performed perfectly for three years now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts