Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have never really solved my fuel pick up issue. Have tried different pick up locations and gadgets, but the only thing that has worked is keeping the gas tank almost full. Any one have experience with Holley's Hydramat? Looks fairly expensive, but probably less than a surge tank and additional fuel pump.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am also interested in anyone with feedback on them.
Mutang, what is your pump, tank, pickup setup?
When do you get your pickup issue, track, street, drag?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
bd8134,

I have been through several pumps over the past 15 track years, ranging from Holley Black to Aeromotive 1000 to Mallory 140.. All the same, when my tank goes below half or really 2/3, the pump will suck up some air and go dry..

I run a 22 gal fuel cell and use 4 Walboriugh puck style pickups plumed to the 4 corners of the cell. Cell is foam filled

The car is a road race track car and I think the problem is under hard braking which is naturally followed by a hard turn then hard acceleration

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Interesting, those Walbro pickups are supposed to "shut" when not submerged so they don't suck air. Either they aren't working, or they are staying in place on the bottom of the fuel cell. You also try the in-tank surge tanks with flapper/check valves.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
When I had a car that had issues with acceleration related starvation I looked into the surge tank / swirl pot route. It's not that expensive if you find a cheap one on ebay and do a lot of DIY.

fuel surge tank | eBay

The pump that fills the tank can be any old thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts