Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guy ever actually ran into a problem where you needed the road race floats for the Holley 4150??

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
I think most of the customized induction shops modify or replace the floats based on application. I know SMI does. Having said that, I don’t know what floats are in my carb.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Have any of you guy ever actually ran into a problem where you needed the road race floats for the Holley 4150??
Only when i was road racing and friends who were off roaders (trucks) of course used specialty floats as well.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only when i was road racing and friends who were off roaders (trucks) of course used specialty floats as well.
So you are saying the regular floats gave you trouble when you road raced the car?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've never had a problem with conventional floats on any vintage road racers I've been involved with.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Randy. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
So you are saying the regular floats gave you trouble when you road raced the car?
taking turns at 80 mph and accel out of the corners....sometimes we experienced a slight fuel starvation, so at that time there were mini baffles you could instal along with the modified floats.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I run road race floats, vent extention (whistle), and rear jet extensions, and spring needle/seats in both my 600 4150, and 650 qft. The reason is fuel slosh during sudden acceleration and deceleration, and consistant side2side fuel delivery in turns. During hard acceleration and deceleration fuel will splash out the vent tubes, or completely vacate the rear jet which will cause either a stumble or complete flooding. The best case is listen to my earlier video, you can hear there is zero stumble or hestation in my run, even with the hard braking and accelerating. Money well spent if you run a tuned carb. A qft or holley 4150 is hands down the best carb for autocross and roadracing and this application.

·
Premium Member
11,594 Posts
I started road racing in 1974. Put a center pivot Holley on with the old brass oval floats. Never had a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts