Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone please tell me if the Sniper EFI will work with th stock Ford efi distributor (TFI ignition) on a roller motor? Thanks. I see it works with magnetic pickup but not sure on the hall effect type of ignition. I see they have a TFI adapter cable, but it does not specifically say for the Sniper in the description. I left a question at Summitracing but no answer. I'm wondering if they did this for the other efi systems before they put out the Sniper and it just didn't get added to the Sniper description?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-558-305

"Fits all Ford TFI ignitions withHolley Avenger, HP, and Dominator EFI systems. "

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'd call Holley. Most of the negative on the TBI's, other than the Command Center fuel can, is on using the timing control. Just sayin!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I do have one of those summitracing distributors, on my shelf, that are like the chevy type with the coil in cap (electronic). I think that would work ok, as it is magnetic. It has a steel gear drive for the roller motor. I'll probably just poke that back in for the install. I want to be able to get the full usage from the sniper controlling the timing.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to go to an MSD captive discharge ignition box and use a universal harness they have for the TFI type of dist. Should work ok.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The TFI distributor has a Hall effect sensor. Technically, it will work. The TFI module is considered unreliable, so carry a spare. The reason Holley doesn't just add Sniper to the description is that they don't want to support Sniper with TFI. The systems that do support it must be nearly 20 years old now. Holley is having enough trouble with their MSD distributors and timing control with Sniper. Holley support would much rather have you use their expensive dual-sync distributor.

No reason why you can't give TFI a try. Just don't expect much help from Holley if there's a problem. I might attempt to use TFI in my Cleveland. There are 460 trucks from the 80's with a TFI distributor that fit Clevelands. You would need to know the reference angle the sensor is set to. There is good information here that should also apply to Sniper; https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?15426-TFI-Timing&p=55594#post55594

·
6,970 Posts
Sorta OT...but I'm using a TFI distributor (stock Ford) on my car and it's stranded me twice. One time the TFI module was completely dead. That was the used TFI that I got with the used distributor. The second time the car died and wouldn't restart, but after it had cooled off for awhile it started and got me home (where I swapped in another new module).

Yesterday I ordered a TFI relocation kit that gets the module off the distributor and relocates it away from engine heat. I'll post some pictures once I get it installed.

Not sure what year they did it...but Ford eventually moved the TFI module off the distributor over this same issue.

Phil

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
This is interesting, I am getting closer to finishing up my AAW and Holley HP install. The Holley kit required a purchase of an adapter harness to use the Ford TFI dizzy. Anybody think of any downsides to locating the TFI module inside the car? I am thinking up under the dash on the right side above the heater box. I would use either the FatFoxx 706A kit of the McCully Mk3 kit tp do this.

:: FatFoxx ::

McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module Needs!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the TFI relocation kit on my 302 and never had any dramas with the TFI module. Actually I did have a small one, which was causing rpm signal spikes due to the relocation wiring being too close to the alternator. The signal was spiking almost 2000rpm, so it would hit the rev limiter randomly when I was around 4000rpm. Once I moved it away it was fine, so just watch the wire routing with it and make sure it's not near any high voltage sources.

Here's some info on the class action against Ford for the TFI failures.

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-tfi-module-national-class-settlement/

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Phil, I'm going to get one. I've had a TFI give out on me before, it would start running rough at idle and funky. I carry the little tool that makes it easy to change out on the side of the road. I keep an extra with the special grease in the trunk....also AAA card helps everything mustang related on the side of the road... 0:)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"I had the TFI relocation kit on my 302 and never had any dramas with the TFI module. Actually I did have a small one, which was causing rpm signal spikes due to the relocation wiring being too close to the alternator. The signal was spiking almost 2000rpm, so it would hit the rev limiter randomly when I was around 4000rpm. Once I moved it away it was fine, so just watch the wire routing with it and make sure it's not near any high voltage sources."

I've taken a harness apart before and remember one of the wires being wrapped with some sort of special foil. I assume that was to keep the above happening?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah the the TFI wires are insulated from factory. The relocation harness is also insulated. However, even with insulation, they will still get noise if they are too close to high voltage sources. Even being close to to injectors wires can sometimes add a bit of noise.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I ordered the block off plate from FatFoxx and for the $15 it cost was totally disappointed. Looked like a 5 year old made it, the holes drilled for the screws still had the burs from the drill attached. I guess I expected to much, it did not completely cover the mounting pad on the MSD distributor I am using.

So I bought a piece of aluminum angle on the way home on Friday, a four foot section a 1/16 think. The 1/8 think piece would be better but seems like it might cause an alignment issue when inserting the male terminals. I also bought a section of 1/4 bar stock, my plan was to use it to hold the three wires in place where then connect to the distributor. This worked rather well I think, I may make a cover so they cannot be pulled lose and add it later.

I purchased the heat sink kit from McCully Racing, the one without the section that connects to the end of the module. This was a pretty nice piece, I am going to mount this inside the car rather than under the hood. On the firewall right behind the engine I think, looks like it will fit well between the defrost ducts. I decided to go all out and added a fan I had pulled out of an old Dell I had tossed a couple of years ago. Made some straps the rest atop the fins, these bend down along the fin and a self tapping screw holds these in place. A few 4 x 40 machine screws secure the fan assembly to these straps. Should help to keep this thing really cool going forward.

The block off plate

:: FatFoxx ::

The heat sink kit I used

McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module Needs!

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Yes, made it a no brainer, so easy to connect into any ignition active circuit.

Added this on 3/1, just remember fans like this are not designed for the environment outside, so locate underhood at your own risk, mine be be located on the firewall inside the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts