Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the stock 2bbl carb and manifold with a Sniper 4v EFI and aluminum manifold on the 351w motor in my '69 Mach1. The problem I'm having is hood clearance. The motor is stock other than a small Comp Cam. I got the Sniper and a Weiand Stealth manifold from Summit and before I even got the manifold out of the box I could tell it was too tall. Over 2" taller than the 2bbl manifold. I cleaned up the heads and placed the Stealth manifold on the motor to measure. With a straight edge across the tops of the fender the 2bbl mounting face was 7-1/8". The Stealth was 5", and with the Sniper setting on the Stealth with the 1" EGR spacer there was 3/4" to the air filter face. When I had the scoop off of the hood the middle hood hole on the left side had 3/4" to the top of the air cleaner. Looks cool, just doesn't fit. There's not room for the air filter to go up into the hood bracing either. Back in the day we'd just cut a hole in the hood, slap a Boss 429 scoop on it and be done but I'm not cutting this hood for a stock motor.
So the question to all those who've done this is, what manifold/air filter combination will fit at a relatively stock height or at least under the hood? My primary goal is EFI, not high performance as I use this for road trips. Almost any manifold I choose will improve performance.
NOTE:
The pictures are without the 1" EGR spacer between the Sniper and Stealth so there is less room than shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The Sniper is the same hight as a Holley carburetor so you can't blame it. I have a 351C and Edelbrock Air-Gap with a 1/4" spacer, a drop-base air cleaner bottom, 3" filter and stock air cleaner top and clearance is very tight. I hope to get a bit more clearance by changing air cleaner/ filter parts. Obviously your manifold is too tall. And if you must have the EGR spacer you are rather limited. I bet a stock style 4BBL manifold and air cleaner will fit assuming the size is the same as 1969 stock parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I don't blame the Sniper at all and I picked the Stealth manifold so I take the blame for that part. I know there is something out there that will fit and hopefully someone will chime in with the magic combination. I'll call Summit tomorrow to get their input and maybe Holley too. Question. How would you not have an EGR hose? I've run without one but it's pretty stinky. I can tap a hole in the manifold and use a 1/4" plastic spacer. I think the aluminum manifolds the 351 guys were running in 69 were Ford parts. Ford had a lot of over the counter drag racing parts then. We ran Cobra Jets in these cars and didn't have hood issues. 351w is a strange animal.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think this EGR hose you are talking about might actually be the PCV system. If so there's a port for a PCV hose on the Sniper and maybe you don't need the spacer you are talking about. The PCV connection is the larger 3/8" vacuum port with a rubber cap just under the IAC. The installation instructions call this a brake booster port and that makes it confusing. I think only California emissions cars had EGR. The vast majority of 60s cars did not have an EGR system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right on all points, it's the PCV hose I was talking about and evidently I can't read either. The Stealth manifold is described as a "high rise" manifold. Duh, no wonder it doesn't fit. Summit has several low rise manifolds so I'll get one of those. Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In the process of figuring out if my stock 67 turn signal hood will clear my setup. I have an edelbrock intake but went with an MSD Atomic on top. Engine is a 351W stroked to 408. We used a low profile air cleaner setup, but the clearance of the wing nut is in question. Like you, I prefer not to make any changes to my existing hood, but I may need go a different route if all else fails (Shelby scooped hood)
I hear that sucking sounds as I open my wallet once again.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2v was within 3/4" of the hood so I'm going to try the Edelbrock low rise. I'll still have the option of the sunken filter base. Nice setup, nothing that looks as cool as a dual quad air filter but they are tall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts