Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so I will attempt to do the best job possible. I have a 1970 Fastback with a 351C (not factory). I did not install this motor, however, I am trying to put a Holley Sniper Stealth 4150 on the engine. Install went great, however, I am having some issues with the fuel lines. I installed an exterior fuel pump on the car and rubber fuel lines. I also have a regulator to get the 60psi the Carb wants. I routed the new rubber fuel lines along the path of the old metal fuel lines which was about 8 inches away from the exhaust, I thought this would be enough looking back it was not. Can someone just a new way to go about this i.e:
  • Stick with rubber with a new routing method
  • Return to the metal fuel lines
  • Something else I am unaware of
Thank you

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I really like the way Sven did his and plan on doing mine basically the same way.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The external pump will crap out on you. It's not a matter of if, but when. I would keep a spare in the trunk and make sure it's easy to replace on the side of the road.

That's what I don't get about these bolt on TBI fuel injection systems. Unless you do the pump and lines right, with an in-tank pump and a return, you're just introducing more problems at great cost with no gains in power. Plus these things are not headache free like a decent multipoint system. They're not going distribute fuel better than a carb, you're going to be at the mercy of your leanest cylinder.

You already have the system but I would advise that they're not totally honest when they say how simple they are to install when it comes to the lines/pump. They tell you it's easy to install an inadequate system with an external pump so guys will think it's a simple upgrade. But it's not ideal.

Reactions: 67Modcoupe

·
Registered
69 Mach 1 , 68 K1500 short box GMC
453 Posts
A friend of mine put in a sniper unit , ran great for 1000 miles than quit on a rally. He called Holly , they said he did everything correctly. Send it back , we’ll fix it. So he does , gets it back . Truck runs for 15 minute and quits again, come to find out they have had problems with that thing and haven’t fixed them yet , Good luck with yours. He pulled everything out and went back to a carb , he was so discussed he will never have one again. It ruined a road rally for him .

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Going on Three years with trouble free Sniper operation on my 450hp 331 stroker in my '65.

MOST issues with them are from an already poor state of tune on the motor or botching wiring. Which baffles me because you literally connect four wires and plug the harness into itself!

I bought two 3/8ths steel lines from classic tube. Ran them in the factory location from the tank to the firewall. then ran sections of AN flex line from there to the back of the Sniper. Works great. I also have the Spectra 22 gal tank with in tank pump. Looks factory!

Am actually just adding a hyperspark dizzy as the vacuum advance one i had with a pertronix sucked.

Amazing how many people make comments about things they've never personally tried.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I couldn't just dip my toes in the EFI pool. Nope.

There was an 8 stack EFI manifold on Facebook Marketplace with injectors and even an old Haltec computer to run it. Stupid cheap. I'm stupid, so I bought it.

Then I got a Terminator X Max, dual sync distributor, and Holley FuelMat thing that goes in place of the factory Ford in-tank sender. Engine's just getting finished up; new timing set, figure the pushrod length, a lick of paint, and I'll be bolting her up.

I am more excited and terrified than I have ever been in my entire life. ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
When you say "rubber lines" make sure they are rated for EFI pressure. I am running Earl's vaporguard for feed and return to the Spectra tank and to the Sniper TB. I slid heat shield over them near any exhaust. You might want to look at Holly's Return style or returnless style in-tank retrofit pumps. I have heard good things. Link to them is here: Holley 12-130 Holley In-Tank RetroFit Fuel Module

1 - 9 of 9 Posts