Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Mustang fastback GT390
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just a couple of questions i might need to know before i install the Holley Sniper kit,which is on the way over to the UK.

My car : 1968 fastback fitted with the 351c, full length Flowmaster headers, full msd ignition, Comp Cam fitted is FC 280H-10 part number 32-225-4
I'm swapping the MSD Dissy & coil & have bought the Holley Coil & the Holley Hyper-spark dizzy, keeping the MSD 6A box. Will this work ?.
1 question when setting up the Sniper is, the question about what cam is fitted, what category does my cam come under ?
Here Is a list of the parts ordered.As you can see I've also gone for the Dakota RTX digital Dash. Let me know your thoughts to whether these are all compatible/ or missed something. BOREDOM IS EXPENSIVE.
Summit Racing.

ATL-AR25RACING PLUG

DAK-BIM012HLLYHOLLEY EFI MODULE

DAK-RTX67FMUSXGAUGE KIT

GMK-3021-523-681PANEL BEZELS

HLY-12-305FUEL PUMP

HLY-526-9FUEL FILTER KIT

HLY-558-493SNIPER EFI TO HOLLEY HARNESS

MSD-31383WIRE SET

SNE-550-510SNIPER EFI KIT

SNE-556-152IGNITION COIL

SNE-565-303BK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Johnny had a bad experience with a Sniper setup. Mine was just the opposite. It ran flawless from startup, after getting it tuned it ran even better.
No complaints on mine.
I swapped from the MSD box to the Holly CD box. It is all plug and play.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's about to get a lot more expensive when you realize what a POS the Sniper is and have to replace it.
Seriously, I understand that you had a bad experience with the Sniper system, but that doesn’t mean you should try to stop the world from buying it. Your statement is very much like militant vegans pushing their views on those of us that eat meat.

The Sniper system didn’t work for you, fine. You’ve moved on and found a system that does, that’s great. If the Sniper system was truly that bad, Holley would have stopped producing it long ago much like Professional Products did with their Powerjection systems. I used to run one and now I don’t. I’ll leave it at that.

I have a full Sniper system with the distributor, coil and CD box. I’ve had zero problems with my system. I’ve got over 300 miles on it now and it runs flawlessly. It idles smoothly at just a hair under 600 rpm. I can put the hammer down and break the tires loose, or just casually cruise to the corner market.

The Sniper system works just fine for me. I did my research on EFI kits. I read the reviews, the pros and cons, then compared competitors. In the end, Holley won, and I’m happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought the Sniper, Hyperspark, Holley coil and CD box for my fresh rebuilt 351C with a mild cam. Like they said - all plug and play. I also figured if there was a problem, Holley couldn't blame another manufacturer's product. The setup was simple and it ran great from the start.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Sniper, Hyperspark, Holley coil and CD box for my fresh rebuilt 351C with a mild cam. Like they said - all plug and play. I also figured if there was a problem, Holley couldn't blame another manufacturer's product. The setup was simple and it ran great from the start.
Good point, i might consider the CD box, any idea what my cam is classed as, aggressive/mild ect.
Glad to here everything is as it should be, I can’t wait.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just sell your 6AL and buy the Hyperspark CDI box. That's what I did. I couldn't get sniper to run well with my MSD stuff but it sells fast on the used market and the car runs awesome now. Good luck! Make sure the gear on the Hyperspark matches your cam. You can only get them with a cast gear, so I had to swap the gear to be compatible with my roller camshaft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just installed a Sniper/Hyperspark box, coil and distributor. So far so good, looks as though the most important thing is RFI issues..Add grounds where you can, shielding where you can, try not to run the wires near anything else electronic..and be patient. There's a FB group 'Holley Sniper EFI owners and tech', tons of great info and some pro tuners on there.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have a super sniper on my little 302 with an in take electric fuel pump. Run perfectly just needs some drive time to get it tuned up but now I'm yanking the 302 and getting ready for a 427 I'm having built. I think I'll do the hyperspark with my set up also. I assume the Sniper ECU can control the hyperspark timing ?

Reactions: 67Modcoupe

·
Registered
929 Posts
The cam selection would be street/strip. Its basically to adjust for lower vacuum that a bigger cam could have.

I've got the sniper on my 331 and like it. I'd also suggest the throttle extension or it can be a bit jerky... You'll find the info posted a ton of places.

You'll love the Dakota gauges. I'm super happy with mine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
...I assume the Sniper ECU can control the hyperspark timing ?
Yes, the Sniper will control the timing with the hyperspark distributor.

...I'd also suggest the throttle extension or it can be a bit jerky...
I didn’t go with the extension, but I did add an adjustable, progressive linkage. This keeps the secondaries closed until about 38% throttle with my setup. After adding the linkage, I just had to tell the Sniper it was there and at what percentage of throttle input the secondaries started to open. The progressive linkage definitely smoothed out the throttle response.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cam selection would be street/strip. Its basically to adjust for lower vacuum that a bigger cam could have.

I've got the sniper on my 331 and like it. I'd also suggest the throttle extension or it can be a bit jerky... You'll find the info posted a ton of places.

You'll love the Dakota gauges. I'm super happy with mine.
Cheers for the reply, Did the sniper & the Dakota go together ok without any problems.
Throttle extension, not quite sure what you mean, is this a Holley product ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Super Sniper on my 302 is working like a champ. Best investment so far. Have an MSD 6AL and Dizzy tied to it as well as the recommended fuel pump kit. Have it as my e-fan controller as well.

Good bye carbs and little temp sensing node thingy that goes in radiator..

## EDIT ##

I just saw the comment up above about progressive linkage. I would absolutely say that the 1 to 1 ratio of primary/secondary out of the box is a beast. I went with the progressive linkage (easy to do) but then opted to go with the holley extension instead based on recommendation of my tuner. 6 in one hand 1/2 doze in the other I suppose.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have an earlier Sniper that doesn't work with the adapter box for the Dakota digital sadly.

There is an extension that gets bolted to the throttle arm to give a bit longer of a lever on the throttle making it less touchy/sensitive.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Lately I've read a lot of bad on the Holley Sniper so I wish you luck. I went FiTech on my Mach 1 and am pretty happy with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts