Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how they have the linkage set up on thier holley 4160 in a 65 mustang with 289. I have the stock linkage rod and have adjusted it all the way and it seems to only want to open the throttle about a 1/3 of the way when the pedal is mashed to the floor. Thanks. Some pictures might help solve this if you had some.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the same problem with that carb on my 67 289. All I have been able to figure out is to modify the linkage. I now have more throttle but it still isn't opening all the way.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you do? Are you using the stock linkage rod?

·
7,050 Posts
Part of it may be which hole you have your throttle rod in. Here's my 4160 in my '65 on a Ford Motorsport dual plane hi-rise intake.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC21107.JPG

After I redid my carpet and put in thick rubber mats, my throttle was only closing about 85%, so I ended up taking the throttle rod off and using a threading die to cut more adjustment threads in it. I don't remember the thread specs, but it you take your throttle rod to the hardware store, I'm sure they could sell you a die to cut some more threads.

Phil

·
Registered
249 Posts
Any chance that you can get a clearer picture than that as it is a little fuzzy. I am having trouble with mine also. I am curious because the throttel linkage only seems to want to have maybe 3 inches of movement from where it bumps into the intake and where the pedal is on the fllor but the carb seems to need more movement. I assumme that WOT is when the plates down in the holes turns till it is straight up and down. At idle is the plate supposed to be completly flat or can it by at an angle? Maybe I need to bend the throttle bell crank what do you think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts