Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is going to create a firestorm. Please it isn't meant to do so. I just mearly thought it would be fun to know the breakdown of people using either along with your comments on your carb! Keep it friendly or I'll remove this post!

When I've been to cruise spots, I've noticed more people using Edelbrocks then I would have thought. Yes I'm using one too. I have to say it's one of the smoothest carbs I ever used. I'm very pleased with it. it's here to stay on my 66.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Edelbrock 1406. Only problem I have had is getting it dialed down enough. Had to take the jets and meters down two steps to get the raw fuel smell out of the exhaust. The AOD hooked right up to it, which was a real bonus. I am pretty happy with it. My son put a holley on his car and it has been a nightmare trying to get it setup correctly and keeping it there. Probably just our inexperience, but a real pain.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Holly 600; I have had problems with power valve. Generally as smooth as silk operation.

Had a Carter (now Edlebrock) 400 or 500 (memory?) on a 260 V-8 Falcon convertible that was trouble free.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
holley 600

I think edelbrocks are fantastic for those who dont have the experience or inclination to do carb calibration.....though to be honest, holleys usually are close; requiring maybe accelerator pump tweaking to suit the vehicle weight, cam size, and intake configuration

I dont put any stock into the "frequent retuning" of holleys......AND THAT POWER VALVE FRAGILITY LEGEND IS B_____HIT!!!!

Probably the biggest PITA with holleys is knowing youll have to readjust a new set of float valves after they "break in"

Having run holleys and edelbrocks on the same motor, I can say with complete conviction that holleys perform NOTICEABLY stronger......I had bone stock rebuilt 390 with a holley 600......I likened it to a raging bull when I nailed it.....I couldn't imagine that motor in a 69!!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Edelbrock 1405.
Before that there was a Holley 1850 (?).
The Holley was a piece of junk, but since it was old and probably needed service, I cant
really compare the two.
All I know is, that installing the Edelbrock was a real improvement.

Most people say that the Edelbrocks need less maintenance. I dont mind that at all, so Ill stay with Edelbrock. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have a Holley 600CFM. My understanding between Holley and Edelbrock is that the Edelbrock is a "Plug and Play" solution and Holley allows you to dial in and set your carb in may different areas.

The Edelbrock is fine for the street but once you pass a certain performance level people go for the Holley's so that they can dial them in and have better controll over the settings, which you don't have with the Edelbrock. At that point a Holley will probably pull harder. In fact dialed in for the street the Holley may pull harder.

You have to decide what style of set-up you want to run.
Just my 2 cents.

Greg.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If one wishes the reliability of an Edelbrock and the adjustibility of a Holley, then a carb from Barry Grant (Demon) is the ticket...

Personally, since I've always been poor, I've run used Holleys....don't think I ever paid more than 20.00 for one....

The 3310-1 on the race car is actually two similar models put together to make the modifications I desired for racing use....total outlay for carbs and some extra vacuum pods...50.00...and then another 110.00 or so for tuning parts. I've got a regular Holley warehouse in the trailer box...*G*

Moderate to stock engine where easy fine tuning isn't necessary.....Edelbrock's seem to work great.

G

·
0 Posts
Holley 650 double pumper. Holley IS American muscle and has been with Ford since the beginning.
my carb is great. and no, i havent had any problems whatsoever with it on the street.
the Motorcraft Holley on my truck is junk but its the factory emmision carb.-not to mention the whole trucks a little tired. when i can afford to rebuild it im putting on a vaceum secondary 4160.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Right now, an Edelbrock 1406 on a Performer manifold... Great running carb, but isn't enough for the motor (run outta steam on the top). Easy to tune, I have all 4 barrels dialed in dead on and it runs like a dream, except the accelerator pump is severely inadequate.

This winter the car gets a Toploader and a Weiand X-CELerator. Then comes a 700ish double pumper... As much as I like my Edelbrock, it simply doesn't offer the flexiblity that I'm looking for in a carb. Plus the new Holleys don't blow out powervalves (I had a old one that did constantly, had distributor problems that'd cause a backfire).

I'm with Pat. I'm poor and want a fast car, so a Holley it'll be. But I have nothing against the Edelbrock, but I don't feel that it offers the tuning capabilites that I look for. I'm selling it to a buddy, he's gonna put in on a 302 in a 67. Should be a great carb on that motor.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I think edelbrocks are fantastic for those who dont have the experience or inclination to do carb calibration.....

<hr></blockquote>I DO have both the experience and inclination to calibrate, and I have an Edelbrock. They can be fine-tuned to a very precise level, you just have to understand how they work & what to change.

Edelbrock, Holley, Demon, should all receive some fine-tuning to match the vehicle. IMHO, Edlebrocks can be easily calibrated for 95% of the street cars out there. Metering rods & step up springs are changed in about 2 minutes, and jets are maybe a 5 minute job - ALL done without draining the gas. Of course, if you let the Holley sit for a week or so, they become self-draining anyway! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Holley power valve problems are a legend of the past, like the supposed lack of tunability of the AFB...

Now, if you want "bolt-on and go" for stock or nearly stock small blocks, the Autolite 4100 is THE way to go...just don't plan on easy tuning for a performance application.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I prefer a Holley. Edelbrock and Carter are great carbs (Even when they were called AFB's)

If someone could show me quantitative proof that a modified Edelbrock would perform better than my modified 750DP Holley, I'd prolly buy one.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I havent tried the Eldlebrock yet so I don't know, but I an running 2 used Holleys. One on my '68 and one on my '71. Both are 600CFM and perform very well. I had a 4100 on my '68 that I had to put on when the carb that came with my car when I bought it was leaking very badly. My performance dropped significantly, and this was with a freshley rebuilt 4100. I then put on a Holley I got for $35 and $20 for a kit. The difference was dramatic.
My '71 was a 2v when I changed over to the Holley so I don't know how it would be with Edlebrock. I did add a K&N substack and could really feel the difference, but the heads are ported and that is a varialble. I'm happy with Holley but am thinking about Edlebrock as I am using them as daily drivers. I have been told by friend who works at PAW that for ecomnomy and low maint use Edlebrock, for performance use Holley, and if you can afford an extra $70 go with the Deamon.

G

·
0 Posts
Wow great thread.I've been going back and on this subject for awhile now. My 390 has a 650 Holley DP and I was considering the Edelbrock. I plan on going with the Performer intake and cam and lifter set from Jeg's and was wondering if I should also go with the Edelbrock, or stay with my Holley. If I stay with the Holley it will make my header purchase alot quicker. What do you guy's think????????

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
700 Holley DP.

Runs great, and with adjust-a-jets on the primaries and secondaries I can adjust the jetting while its running.
Even easier than the Edelbrock carb /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
If you are fine with your Holley now, why spend the $ to change. You will get a bigger bang for your buck with headers.

G

·
0 Posts
GT350 = 780cfm Holley w/mods. Originally from a 427 vette
428SCJ = 750cfm Holley double pumper, no choke, 4bbl idle. out of the box the best carb yet
64.5 289 = Speed Demon. Sorry I am not impressed by these. someone twisted my arm to buy it..never again

1 - 20 of 29 Posts