Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving down the lovley streets of Bloomington Indiana this evening when I hit a pothole the size of a wading pool after recovering from the shock I notice (hahh more like am smacked in the forehead by) a rattle so strong it feels like my car is going to shake itself apart, I immediatley turn around to go home, and as I am a block away from home (with this ratteling so strong my car won't stay in gear unless I keep my hand on the shifter) I hear a heavy dropping sound, and then a grinding. I look under the car, and lo and behold there is my drive shaft sitting on the ground.

Soo.. My question is does anyone have

A) Advice
B) Good resources

Thanks!
John

66' 200 3 speed Daily Driver
AkA Babe the Blue Ox

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like the roads around here. Route 126 in Medway, MA has about the hugest frost heaves I've ever seen, and I-495 in the same area is scary to drive on.

Michelle (aka Mustang Shelly)
1968 GT 390 Fastback
http://mich_pc.boltpages.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lefbacsmall.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sooo... I'm thinking you broke the rear U-joint, perhaps? Fortunately, if that's really all that happened, it won't be too hard to repair, as any good parts store will stock these. Of course it's also possible for the rear yoke to have broken off, which would involve a good deal more work to completely rebuild the rear end.

You'll have to take a closer look at the damage, I'm afraid, before we can provide more detailed advice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for such little info. It's acctually the front U-joint that broke. I have ordered a new driveshaft yolk, and a new front u-joint. I however would still appreciate any advice/cautions/ideas.

Thanks!
John

66' 200 3 speed Daily Driver
AkA Babe the Blue Ox

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lucky it didn't appen at speed, I've heard of cars pole-vaulting when that happens, hence the drive-shaft savers available. Did the broken U-joint break across the center and/or the 4 stubs show wear or breakage? (If you still had the U-joint to look at that is)

69 Sportsroof, 351C, 4spd toploader, Restomod BOSS 429 clone - the one and only (?) 1969 BOSS 351

http://home.swbell.net/boss351/mustang/boss1.jpg
http://stangnet.cardomain.com/user/adamg69

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of things:

1. Are you sure you even need a new front yoke, or is just the U-Joint broken?

2. If you have to replace one U-joint anyway, you may as well go ahead and do both.

3. All of the major Mustang parts houses have driveshaft safety loops that bolt onto your front seatbelt mounting points on the tranny tunnel. I'm almost positive they're under $20. One of these will keep your driveshaft from dragging on the ground if the front U-joint breaks.

-Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds scary! Glad your OK.

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would file a complaint to the department of transportation to have them pay you back what it cost to repair your driveshaft and misc. items.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
It seems odd to me that your u-joint picked that particular moment to break. I agree on doing the back one with the front. I also believe that you need to check your drive shaft to see if it got bent.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seems odd to me that your u-joint picked that particular moment to break. I agree on doing the back one with the front. I also believe that you need to check your drive shaft to see if it got bent.
Uhmm...... I know we're getting a lot of rain here in East Texas, but I think this post is about 14 years old...Lol.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Ha. I didn't look at the dates. It came up on my new or updated posts list though.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Uhmm...... I know we're getting a lot of rain here in East Texas, but I think this post is about 14 years old...Lol.

Take it easy on macstang. You never never know. The OP's driveshaft might still be laying in the street 14 years later. :)

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
562 Posts
Original post date 2001 .... suppose problem fixed????? If a guest ,,,, ok why not be a member???? IND users please put in location and others can help... SORRY if this sounds like I am being a PINTA. (one of the ships Columbus sailed with) :D:D:D:D

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Real helpful Mac ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts