Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of the caster fixture I use to do front end alignments. The beauty of this fixture is that you don't need turn plates to use it, as you are directly reading the caster through the center line of the ball joints. I use this fixture to set dirt track cars, road race cars, drag race cars as well as street cars:

You first need a piece of tubing that slips over the upper and lower ball joint studs. Measure the distance between the two ball joint nuts and cut the tube 1/16" smaller than the measurement:

The tubing now needs to be notched so that one end of the tube can slide over the lower ball joint stud once the tube is slipped over the top ball joint stud:

Cut a piece of 1/2" square tubing about 6-8" long:

The square tubing will be welded to the center of the tube. Make absolutely sure that it is welded 90 degrees to the round tube:

The cotter pins are removed from the ball joint studs and the fixture is slipped into place. Since it is slightly smaller, one of the ball joint nuts can be backed off to tightly hold the fixture in place. An angle finder is placed on the square tube extension, and you are directly reading the caster of the spindle:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like it! Nice set up and clever solution.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is exactly why we need a "How To" forum.

Good stuff F15Falcon

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I just had a friend tell me there was "no way" I could do that myself. I can't wait to tell him he is wrong. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts