Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a 40W LED security lamp, can I wire it with 14-2 Romax? The run is less than 5 feet.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I thought it was OK, just wanted to verify.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm not an electrician. The 14-2 will work for the use you described but if the rest of the branch circuit is wired in 12-2 and is connected to a 20 amp breaker, the extension of that circuit you're running should be 12-2 also. I'm 99% certain that would be to code.

Not supposed to mix it up.

If there is an electrician here that knows I'm wrong, I'm always open to learn something new. I just tend to err on the side of being conservative with electrical. Also don't want to confuse the next person to look at it ( or me if it's been awhile).

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
ex house electrician here

in a perect world youll be fine.
40 watts isnt anything major

you really just have to know how much of a load is on that loop to really decide to go or no go

to be safe and for kicks and grins and so youll learn, turn off the breaker and see what goes out

if it knocks out 3 major appliances the extra 3 amps may put it over the top :)

chances of that if the house is built in the last 60 years is slim as the Nat elect codes got really good in the 60s to prevent this.
but its good piece of mind and you never know what previous owner tapped off of and for what

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ex house electrician here

in a perect world youll be fine.
40 watts isnt anything major

you really just have to know how much of a load is on that loop to really decide to go or no go

to be safe and for kicks and grins and so youll learn, turn off the breaker and see what goes out

if it knocks out 3 major appliances the extra 3 amps may put it over the top :)

chances of that if the house is built in the last 60 years is slim as the Nat elect codes got really good in the 60s to prevent this.
but its good piece of mind and you never know what previous owner tapped off of and for what
The circuit is for 3 lights in the garage and an exhaust fan, The original wire is 12-2, but all the lights are LED so the major consumption is from the exhaust fan.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
you prob be Ok but check the amps on the fan. some of them bad boys in the 2000 CFM range can pull 8-10 amps.
most 1200-1400 CFM range pull 4-5 amps

12 wire is good for 20 amps

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses, I'm off to get some 12-2, there's only a $3 difference for 25ft between the two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts