Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, vanity being what it is I went ahead and gave myself a ribbon for this one... Here's a first look at the dash mounted dash pod I made for my '96 Powerstroke:

http://photos.ford-diesel.com/data/500/22014firstpodphotos-med.jpg

The outer shell is fiberglass, four layers of cloth thick. There's a 'u' shaped base/inner-liner that matches the shape of the dash. The outer and base are laid up separately and then glued together. I screwed it down to the dash through the base so there wouldn't be any external screws showing. It's housing a Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp, and Trans Press (there'll be a couple of warning lamps as well in the final piece). The pillar pods only mount up to 3 gauges, and I found my pillar pod blocking some of my view which makes me uneasy, so....

I've got to cover the outside with a vinyl to match the dash and put a matte-black covering on the mounting plate before I'm done, but I was so tickled didn't want to wait till it was finished for a sneek peek.

Took a fair amount of photos of what I did to make it, if there's any interest I'll upload the pics and instructions on how to make your own for whatever purpose. The same thing can be done for just about any small to medium sized thingamaboper you need.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
oh my God that looks terrible!!!! just kidding

Great job!!! it's always refreshing to see folks handy enough to fab what they need; instead of the post gen-x crowd that only reluctantly pays for what they want and the labor to do it for them!

·
Registered
967 Posts
LMAO.....The 17 year punk kid that lives next door is so damn inept that he had to pay someone to install those clear tail lamps on his celica. What a putz. It is like 6 screws. The kids today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts