Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to construct their own version of a rear window defroster?

The coupes are bad enough; but those of you with fastbacks know how long it takes for that huge rear glass to clear. Just curious if anyone has ever rigged up something with a couple hair dryers or something.

Does it sound plausible? How would the electrical setup be handled? Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The early GM cars used a fan to blow on the back glass for getting it de-fogged. You might look into a something similar...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, maybe I can check that out... I know the original Mustang units are going for more and more these days; and since I've taken the restomod route, I'm not nearly as concerned about original equipment any more. Besides, if they're as weak as the heater/windshield defroster...well, you know how well those work!

I just thought I could construct something stronger from new and readily available parts. It would just be a matter of mounting them in the trunk; rigging some grill-work for them to blow through; and some small switch to turn them on and off.

G

·
0 Posts
JCWhitney sells a stick on thermal tape that you can cut to size. It would look resonably factory when you were done.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Be warned that the wire in these universal kits is at least 4 times thicker than OEM.
My problem is that I want to tint the rear AND have a built in defrost (also a fb).
With the fat wires they use in this kit, the tint could not go over the wire without leaving voids.

Anybody ever stuck one of these kits ON TOP of tint film, rather than under it?

What I'd like to see is a tint film that is conductive so that the whole window becomes a defroster!

BossBIll

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
JC Whitney also sells (or at least used to) mini hair dryer-like devices that plug into the cigarette lighter that you can use to defrost your windows. I had one for a while but can't remember if I ever used it. JCW also sells a variety of defrosters/fans that mount in a variety of ways. You ought to be able to rig up something that looks OK or at least can be concealed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts