Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to connect my two computers at home and I think I need a little help. I'll give you the situation and you can tell me what I should do to hook them together. I just purchaced a new Dell Dimension 8200 and it's connected to the internet via a cable modem. The computer I want to network is an older one that doesn't have any USB ports, but I do have an Eithernet card I can install on it. If you'd done something like this before please help. The Dell has 8 USB ports if that helps. It also has two places for a phone line. I'd like to have the ability to share files on both computers, but all I really want is to have internet access on each.

Thanks for taking your time to read and respond,

James

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Can you get an ethernet-based DSL modem from your provider? You really don't want to share your DSL connection using one machine as a gateway since it sucks resources on the gateway machine pretty badly.

If you can get an ethernet-based DSL modem you can use a broadband router (netgear, smc, linksys, dlink, etc) with a multi-port switch built into it and accomplish all of your goals.

If you can't get an ethernet-based DSL modem you can share things by installing an ethernet adapter in both system, plug both into a switch and run gateway software on the system that is attached to the DSL modem via USB. THIS IS NOT A GOOD SOLUTION.

PM me if you want more direct help.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bishir, I'm not an expert so if I can do this so can you. I bought a linksys hub/router with built in firewall and hooked up the cable modem to the hub and then both computers to the hub. No problem.

The computers need to be setup to get an IP address automatically. Maybe someone else can give you a better technical description.

·
Registered
657 Posts
They do have USB hubs now. You could get a USB card for the old PC and a USB hub and go that route. The speed would be a lot less than the 10/100 though. I have to agree that you would be better off changing out your DSL modem. Also, do not use Microsoft's built in networking. Get Wingate or Sygate, something that is easy and works.

G

·
0 Posts
Depends on where you want the computers located. If in the same room, on the same desk, then a switch (or hub) is all you need.

If you want some flexibility in where you locate the computers and don't want to string cable through your walls, then look into an 802b wireless network. They're a bit pricey, but they work well.

My computers are hardwired to a cable modem through a switch.

My wife's laptop and the downstairs computer (yeah, computer junky;we have several) have wireless PCMCIA cards that connect them to the wireless access point that is also cabled to the switch. They all have Internet access, as well as access to the networked printer.

But, there's a catch, each device will need its own IP address if you want them to all be up and connected simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
The Wingate or Sygate are only needed if you use one system as a gateway. I can not stress this enough, this is not a good solution if you can use a broadband router with ethernet access instead.

The broadband routers also protect your systems from hackage from outside with filters and NAT. It's really a win/win if you can go this route. Better performance, more secure, file sharing, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
The IP address issue is moot if it is done in conjunction with a broadband router. The router gets the only real address on the internet and acts as a DHCP server for the inside network.

Do you see the theme to all of my posts on this thread? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Does your Cable Modem hav a way that you can it plug in via Ethernet? If so, get yourself a Linksys router ($100 - $150 last year) This will allow you to plug your cable modem into the router and connect each system you want connect to your network and internet. This will also give you a firewall protection from hackers. If you need any more help, sene me e-mail.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You need to install a NIC (Ethernet card) in each computer. The address of the NIC's are set with a utility program or by physical bit switches - both addresses must be free and the same. Usually 340 works...

Okay the cards are in and the addresses are assigned. Some cards come with a simple diagnostic program that allows you to determine if they're installed and working properly. Usually this diagnostic is a command prompt (MS-DOS) utility that simply passes fixed data back and forth provided all is well witht the hardware installation. You can use the diagnostic if you wish to validate your installation.

The next step is to tell the operating system that you have the NICs installed. Sometimes this is automatic on booting Windows and sometimes not. You usually have to use the add new hardware dialog of Control Panel and tell the operating system what you've installed (SimpleNet 2000 10/100) etc. Once the device driver is installed (sometimes the card comes with a driver and sometimes not - its compatible with a commonly used card, i.e. 3COM or NE2000 - in this case, you can use one of the generic drivers that is included with Windows).

Okay the drivers installed, now what? You next have to assign a protocol to permit the operating systems to talk the same language to each other. The most commonly used protocol is TCP/IP (internet protocol). This has to be linked between each NIC and each operating system. It is done during the add hardware dialog process for NICs.

Okay, the NIC is installed, the protocol is linked and the operating systems now know about the existence of the cards. Communications is possible. However,

The next thing you have to do is to map your drives on one computer so the other computer has access to devices on the other side. In Windows 98, mapping the drives is accomplished using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). The process is something like:

a. give the computer a name (e.g. Dell)
b. give a name to a work group (with peer to peer network any name is okay...I use the word "Home" for my workgroup.
c. Map the drives...this is hard to describe but I shall try:

If you wish access to a remote computer, first you have to go to the remote computer and get the properties of the drive you wish to access. Right click on properties then change the permissions to "Shared access" Name the computer on the remote machine, example "C Drive". Now assuming your new computer is called "Dell" and the workgroup is Home, and the old computer is "Remote" this drive now becomes \\Remote\C Drive. It is assigned as the next higher drive on the Dell. So if before you established the network and the Dell had two drives, c: and d: the next assigned drive would be e: Hence from the Dell's side of the network the drive in the remote computer is e: and is called \\Remote\C Drive. Whenever you wish to use it from the Dell side, you simply click on the e: drive and you can access it as if it was on your computer. Simple programs will even run across machines but not always, for it depends on the complexity of the program and how tolerant it is to being run on the network. Data can be passed without any problem by dragging and dropping, copy and pasting, or cut and pasting just like working between drives on your Dell computer.

I know this is a lousy explanation but its the best I can do without being there and actually doing it. Let me say that on some Windows programs, if you have the NIC's installed and then install Windows, the startup routine will do all of this nasty set up for you. It will simply ask you for a name for the computer and a workgroup name. Note the computers have unique names (you must give them unique names) and the workgroup name must be the same on both computers. If you had four computers you might want to separate the workgroups into two domains ("adults" and "kids" for example). You could so arrange it your kids couldn't enter your domain but they could network between themselves on their domain. Always select Share Level Access. User Level Access is for professional workgroups having an operating system with security provider. The security provider is a separate piece of software not always furnished with your computer. WinNT has a security provider, Win98 does not. User Level Acess provides drive and directory selectivity on the network. Share Level access only allows definition of drives and printer sharing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Get the router! It's simple, and as stated, it gets the IP address from your ISP and your systems get one from the router. You will need to set up file sharing on your individual PC's. This is simple depending on the operating system you're running. You do have the choice of USB or Ethernet cards. Either way, you need them in both PC's (depending on the router you purchase).

Good Luck,
Gregg

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
On a simple side explanation (again, if I could do it . . .), go with a product with a built in firewall, either switch or router, like the Linksys stuff, or Netgear or Broadguard. It'll set you back about $100, but the security improvement is NECESSARY for anyone using a cable modem, whether or not networked. The newer units don't need major programming skills, as they do most of the set-up automatically. If you can work on a car, you can install the network interface cards on the machines and run the wires. Buy the firewall, read the instructions, and give it a shot. You probably won't need the detail level of the earlier instructions, as a lot of this is set up for you. It is well worth the money, and you'll love being able to share files across the internal network. Good luck.

Carl

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm only going to have 2 computers connected and they will be in the same room together. I do have a Cable Modem that I had to buy. It's a Toshiba PCX2200. It has 2 holes(not technical name /forums/images/icons/smile.gif). One is for the cable that has the internet magically inside of it. Is this the LAN cable? The other "hole" an USB connector. The cable company was selling them with installation. Both computers will have an Ethernet card. So the routers plug into the modem and the other computers connect to the router? Do I have that right? What is the price of one of these? Thanks for everyone's help so far. BTW, I'm replying to Kent's post but anyone can answer.

I really don't need to share files because both computers have basically the same programs installed on them. I really want to be able to access the internet with them at the same time. The modem has an Ethernet and a USB port. Can I just simply connect both computers to the modem for internet access? I will have to get a USB port for the old computer, but that's no problem. Sorry for all of the questions.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I like the router idea. Kent you sold me! How exactly is this setup connected? I like the idea of the built in firewall. I was reading about this and it seems almost anyone on my network can access my computer. That's scary to me. I didn't have to worry about that with dialup access!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would this work?

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=700740788

Ubid.com is great they even have wireless routers for 100 bucks. Does that mean I could use a labtop in the yard and have internet access? How does that work again?

BTW, I have a cable modem not DSL. They aren't the same are they? I didn't think so. Anyway I subscribe through the cable company. It works great, I don't understand much of it yet, but thanks for helping me everyone!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hehe, come on Bish you can do this. All you need is a few items, lets see a hub, 3 patch cables 2 computers and some sort of highspeed modem.

put it together and your up. not that I should be talking, it took me a week to try and figure out that the wiring I did in my house before it was framed was backwards, and I needed to patch using the A code and not the B. (stupid standards). Sucks mostly sence I redid my network server 3 times to get the gatway working, and it was not the problem. hehehe

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
No that would not work. That is a firewall/router. It has no direct interface to your cable connection. Dlink does make a cable modem with ethernet (DCM-200), but it only has one ethernet port on it. You would also have to get a switch to plug in your computers.

Netgear makes a cable modem with a built-in 4-port switch: RP614. It also has built-in firewall functionality, which is a happy thing.

The cable companies typically frown on sharing the line, but as long as you don't run any servers you should be just fine (like www servers or ftp servers).

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
The cable modem you have will do what you want. If you use the Dlink goodie you pointed out in your other post you will be able to get the shared secure access you want as well.

I was unaware the your cable modem had ethernet as well as usb. That is a happy thing.

Go buy yourself an ethernet NIC for your Dell. I like the Intell cards, but they should all work. Just make sure it is a 10/100 PCI card.

You will need ethernet cables for your two machines as well as a third for the modem. You may need a cross-over cable for the modem, but this won't be obvious until you get all of the parts together and plug them in. If the WAN port on the Dlink does not work in a cross-over mode then you will need a cross-over cable. You should be able to buy one where you get the regular cables.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
We have both here at home, an 802b wireless network and an ethernet into a hub. The kid hooked it all up. All I know is I don't pay for it! The wireless net is fantastic for the laptop! I can take it to any room and better yet the hammock out in the back yard! Or the garage when I work on the cars!

This is living!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts