Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the $200 - $300 wirefeed welders available from Home Depot. Checked with real welding companies and they want between $550 and $750 for a true MIG setup. I would think the cheap unit will work with a little care since it will mostly be spot welds. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i rented the "gasless"lincoln from home depot and had no problems.(aside from buying the wrong wire).
also the guy in the rental dept was willing to sell me the rental unit for 100.00 less than new after i tried it out.
so i'd recommend them.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi, I just bought a lincoln pro-135 mig welder from home depot and I love it. It welds super thin sheet metal such as floor pans and inner fender aprons great . I've even done some 1/4 inch angle iron with no prblems. It comes with everything but the gas bottle . I'm certainly happy with mine

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
For home and light commercial use, the units you describe are good value. You'd have to move into medium/heavy fabrication to outgrow them. Comparatively speaking, one would be great for building a gardening trailer, wheras a commercial unit like I use in the shop would be required for building a beavertail equipment trailer.

Have fun! Welding is a very satisfying skill to acquire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts