Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fabricated their own crossmember? and if so can they provide deminsions / measurements So I can fabricate my own. Everything is already in, but the car is 3 1/2 hours away. I'm going this weekend to get it moving and wanted to have the mount with me, and correct. I looked at Windsor fox, but $120 for basically two feet of 2x1 steel tubing kinda eats at me. If thats the only way to be sure the thing is correct I will spend the cash, but please somebody has got to have the info I need. Oh I have a 67 coupe

·
Registered
858 Posts
unless u feel safe w\having urself build one and install it...go for it i guess...but personally...if ur not an engineer or feel urs wont be 100% close to what windsor fox, ron morris, or NPD sells...i suggest u buy theirs...thats what i would do anyways...rather than racking my brain to build 1 when probably mine would be as safe and sound as their's anyways :: take a look in NPD, they sell theirs for
65-66 - $139.95
67-73 - $119.95
good lucky if u feel crazy enuff and have the skills to make 1! lol

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
but $120 for basically two feet of 2x1 steel tubing kinda eats at me
I have the Windsor-Fox x-member in my '66. It's well worth the $120. You'll not only need to get all the angles right, so that you can get your tranny pan off without pulling the x-member, but you'll need to fabricate the parking brake pawl, which will already be on the WF unit. When you figure it will take you 3-5 hours minimum to make, and lets just say your time is worth $20-$30/hour, all of a sudden that $120 doesn't look to bad ;)

The pictures of the x-member on Windsor Fox's web site do not do the part any justice. The pics make it look cheezy as hell, but I was very impressed with it when I got it. It is VERY well made and fit like a glove. It's been in my '66 now for about 18k HARD miles and even seen some track time ... it really is a good piece.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Part of the $120.00 is the time and effort to get it right the first time. Johnpro is right, my Windsor Fox crossmember is well made and looks good in the car. It is also virtually effortless to install and I like that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts