Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
People have been making those for years...usually 100% wood...but they are limited use. For a bit more wood make a fully functional rotisserie:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Do you trust wood with you car though?
A stripped mustang weighs less than 1500lbs...that means each spindle only needs to support 750lbs...even a single 2x4 can support 750lbs if it is on-end...the X-frame is in the picture above has 2 4x4s each side...and instead of being horizontal is angled....the capacity of the rig pictured above is probably in the range of 5000lbs assuming the hardware holding it together is up to the job. People think wood is weak...they are very much mistaken, as long as its designed correctly, a wooden rotisserie is way more than you need. That being said, if I were to make one...the attaching brackets would still be metal...as well as the spindles, the spindles are going to be where most of the stress is.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Apparently wood is strong enough that millions of others trust their lives to it.....
10 Fastest Wooden Roller Coasters - Updated for 2017

Like wicked93gs said- right size wood, metal brackets, life it good....

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Billions if not trillions of trees agree, wood works!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Ever see a wooden railroad trestle? Some are absolutely spectacular.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Built an all wood tip jig for mine a few years ago. Was able to finish welding the floors, SF connectors, prime and undercoat. Cheap too and reused the wood on other projects. That first time tipping it over was stressful. A couple days later I was pushing/pulling it all over the garage. Got a lot of odd looks when cars would drive by lol

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
My car is sitting on one right now. built out of wood and used angle iron for the front that attached to the bumper bracket location. Works great!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I didn't have any blueprints or instructions. I simply looked at them on the web and designed what would work on my car. I do remember that the cross piece was 7' long, centered on the car. It was 2x10 because that's what I had laying around the house. The plywood arch was cut on a 2' radius (3/4" thick) and was attached at the end of the 2 x 10. Used lots of bolts, screws & lag screws. I'm pretty sure you can find instructions and material lists on the web. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
With wood structures the weak point isn't going to be the wood but the fastener itself. You'd need to make sure you're using hardware that's up to the task.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Here is the design I did for ideas. Not really any dimensions as it was "field fit" meaning I got the concept down then had to measure the actual car frame and mount points. This was for a '66 vert. Everything was wood except the front mount which I fabbed from metal to bolt the wood to (well and the bolts of course for the purists!)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
How does one tip the car over? Several helpers or an engine hoist?
On my rotisserie I can do it without help...but its a full rotisserie. I doubt it would be any more difficult with a tipper though...its heaviest as it approaches sideways though..so with a tipper I would def suggest chocks or stops of some sort.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts