Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to put together a rough assembly drawing for a homemade overflow canister. It can be made with supplies from your local hardware store for less than $10. Many of use probably have the material scattered throughout our garages... It is a rough design, something I just threw down on "paper". I have not actually made one, so I could be off a bit. I have a polished aluminum one, which is where the theory of operation comes from.

Basically, when coolant overflows the radiator cap, it will enter the overflow cainster from near or at the bottom. As the level continues to rise, if there is too much coolant for the canister to contain, it flows down the small tube inside the canister, out thru the fitting in the bottom. As the engine cools, it draws the coolant back thru the fill tubing into the radiator.

I haven't worked out the mounting scenario, but that can be accomplished with a bit of creativity.

Let me know what you think, if you have any design improvements.

http://members.aol.com/mlnielsen/homemade_overflow.jpg

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I posted this exact proposal a few weeks ago. A search may turn it up. The general consensus - both from the plumbing expert at Home Depot and some folks here on the VMF - was that the PVC piping wouldn't withstand the heat. If it's hot enough to bubble out of the radiator, it's pretty hot!

My argument was that we all pour hot water down the drains in our homes; but it was pointed out that isn't a sustained heat. It's only momentary. I believe in my post someone actually knew the temp the plastic could withstand, and indeed, it wasn't high enough.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your post is what started me on this. I wanted to make a sketch more for the design, not materials. The materials used are completely up to you. PVC pipe is rated about 190F, not high enough, but might be understated. And I don't put a lot of weight behind a "Home Depot Expert"...

I had one of those cheap aftermarket catch cans, and it looked like a sore thumb for years. I lost the cap, and couldn't find a replacement. Ended up with a polished aluminum can, which looks great.

BTW, CPVC schedule 80 is rated to 210F.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Just grab a Foster's beer can and tap into it!!!! and youre ready to go with Extra room for expansion!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts