Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the hinges and all off and repainted so there are no more marks! When I adjust the hinges up a little, it also seems to shift some right or left. I know the hinges can twist forward or rearward plus the up and down movement. Is there any guide as to what movement does what with the alignment.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Left and right adjustments are made on the bolts that are on the hood itself. Adjust the height first by the bolts on the fender apron, then make the side to side adjustments. The body shop that painted my fastback put the hood on before they put the fenders back on to prevent chips. I have also seen people use masking tape on the hood edges to prevent damage to the paint. Good luck.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,655 Posts
One tip I learned that I've shared on this forum before is the one about the height of the rear edge of the hood. Sometimes when the hood is closed, the rear edge of the hood is higher than the cowl. To adjust the hinge and bring the rear of the hood down to the cowl level for a better fit you need to loosen the hinge mounting bolts at the inner fender apron and rotate the rear of the hinge (nearest the rear of the engine compartment) up and the front of the hinge (nearest the radiator) down. I know this sounds counter intuitive but due to the parallelogram like design of the hinges it works...really...try it if you have this problem. Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts