Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 69 coupe hood and deck lid chemically stripped. The stripping process removed the adhesive between the inner frames and the skins . What can I replace this with?
Thanks TOD ::

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Use 3M seam sealer. It comes in a caulk tube from Virginia Classic Mustang.

Bunker Hill? I thought that was in Boston.....

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
This may be bush league, but I'd try Liquid Nails. That stuff is incredible ! Plus it's made to be an adhesive, and will dry hard and paintable. Dickson

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I hate to dredge up such an old thread, but I am facing the exact same issue with my 67. While cleaning the paint off the underside, a wad of adhesive/sealer separated from both surfaces and came out. Any new or improved products/procedures in the last 16 years?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Any auto body paint supply store can sell you a two part epoxy that is made specifically to adhere skins to frames. It is used in modern day accident work. I used it on my hood skin with no problems.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Lord fusor makes all kinds of epoxies, sealants and adhesive for automotive applications.

Reactions: Wiseguy59

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
The material between the panels is not intended as an adhesive, it's used to prevent them from vibrating or "oil canning". A tube of paintable seam sealer will do the trick.

Reactions: awhtx

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Thanks guys. The oil canning and vibration are my main concern, as I noticed a very slight deflection in the skin when pushing in that area. I will probably give the seam sealer a shot.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Thanks guys. The oil canning and vibration are my main concern, as I noticed a very slight deflection in the skin when pushing in that area. I will probably give the seam sealer a shot.
Make sure what ever you choose has minimal shrinkage. You'll have low spots on your hood skin if it shrinks too much.

Reactions: Caper50
1 - 11 of 11 Posts