Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a 351W into my '65 Fastback. Stock hood is not clearing the Holley 670 Street Avenger with chrome airfilter (probably because of taller deck height). Air filter is standard 3" but still not fitting with my clearance. Do all or most 351W conversions require the Shelby Hood for clearance? In all my research before the instal I never read anything about hood clearance...? HELP! Car heads to paint shop at the end of THIS WEEK!
New hood? Different motor mounts (currently using the old '65 style)? Special airfilter? WHAT?
email address: [email protected]

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
shorter air filter, shorter intake... just how much room are we talking about here?

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I used to have a carb, I used an air cleaner assembly that had a drop to it, it put the air filter lower than the flange on the carb by about 3/4 of an inch. I ordered it that way from K&N when I ordered my air cleaner assembly. This would give your more clearance. They also sell 2" air cleaners, which would be a way to get more room.

If all fails, put in a cool cowl hood ::

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Put some playdooh or clay on top of the filter to get an idea of the squeeze and where it hits. that'll give you some hints of what to do. Measure the clay before and after.and put a peice of paper or something over it before you put the lid down, that way it wont stick to the lid when you lift it up.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
if applicable run no or a shorter carb spacer.. switch to a shorter air cleaner and also try an air cleaner drop base.. if that still doesnt do the trick, easy excuse for a cowl hood. i LOVE mine since i got it

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Street Dominator intake, connected to a Holley 670 Street Avenger, with 3" air filter (dropped 3/4"), NO SPACER...
however, set up does work (not sure by how much clearance), with airfilter cover turned up side down (gain of an 1.25" approx.)

Where can I find the 2 inch air filter? Lowest I've seen is 2.81".
Also, if I do HAVE to get a Shelby Hood, what brand of hood should I get? I've seen a Maier (sp?) for $370-ish. Also, are the metal frames on a fiberglass hood a must?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Well, there's always the option that I went with...a hole in the hood with a scoop sticking out. I've decided to go with a different hood and scoop that is in my sig pic. If you are interested in a setup like that, let me know and I'll sell the glass hood and scoop that's pictured below.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
My 351 has a Wieand Stealth intake, holley carb with no spacer, and a standard 289 Hi-Po air cleaner assembly. All fits under the stock hood. The HiPo air cleaner sits down over the carb a little better.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
How about a Shelby Drop on the engine?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
You do not have to get a hole in the hood, you just need the right stuff. Have you considered putting a drop base air cleaner with a 2.25 to 2.5 inch filter. I have this set up my 351c in my 65 and have no hood clearance issues.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I measured the clearance from the intake to the top of the aircleaner with wingnut at 9.25". With the wingnut off and the lid of air cleaner upside down, clearance was enough to fit and measured 8.5".
I've already done the Shelby suspension relocation...thanks for the tip ... also, I'm already running a low profile airfilter, which dips below the carb mounting point about 3/4". The whole unit measures about 4" and the airfilter itself is about 2.8".
Can someone send me the parameters of the HiPo air filter kit?
And let me know where I can get a 2.0" airfilter?
Shelby hood isn't my style so I need to figure this out.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i have a maier racing 3 inch cowl on my 66, and, the fitment wasnt too bad at all im pretty happy with it. and no i dont think you need steel reinforcements in the hood so long as you run the low tension springs that you should run with the featherweight fiberglass hood. right now, i am using my stock mechanism with the springs completly removed, and i use a little prop rod to hold it open when needed. i just havent got around to buying the correct springs yet .thats on the to do list

1 - 13 of 13 Posts