Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 1970 Mustang Project. It is 90% complete and we are working on some fitment issues. See picture included. The front of the hood not shaped with fenders. I have seen a couple of Mustang pictures online that seem to have similar issues. They aren't as bad. Are all repro hoods going to have this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
A "real" body person may be able to massage that and also may not look as stark with the hood molding on.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
I had to massage the corners of my 1970 aftermarket hood, but it wasn't nearly as bad as your example. I'm thinking getting that hood to line up nicely with the fender extensions would require some cutting and re-welding. If you would consider another hood, give NPD a call and see what options you have. Things are constantly changing in the world of repop sheet metal. When I needed a hood, the Ford Tooling examples were no longer available.

·
Vendor
3,682 Posts
Since the source/supplier of that repro hood is unknown, and the age of the hood is unknown, I really can't speak towards whether it's the same hood that we currently carry, or different tooling, or what.

I've only ever known of two 69-70 hood toolings in Taiwan, but there could be another, and also the tooling that I'm carrying today might be newer than the tooling that your hood was produced on. I've never seen one of our customers have an issue that pronounced.

Looking at the photo you provided, I do not think this is the "other tooling" that I know of, because that hood, where the pontoon comes to a point, and then a single edge/line slopes down to the tip of the hood, there's no concavity on that hood, it slopes down in a straight line. Originally, it should be concave, which is evidenced in your photo.

So it "looks" like the repro hood that we currently sell in that specific feature/angle. But... Our hoods have been selling for quite some time with good/positive results and no returns, which is why I wonder whether the hood on your car is very old, or some other manufacturer.

Lastly... Yes, for a period of time, Artiflex was backordered on the Original Ford Tooling 69-70 hoods. And yes, today, Artiflex has abandoned the tools, and they will no longer be produced. BUT... As I've stated before here on the forum, we (NPD) were able to negotiate a deal with Artiflex over a year ago to buy-out ALL of their remaining inventories. And at that time, they had produced and were sitting on a good amount of 69-70 Ford Tooling hoods.

So, we have all of them.. The only place in the world that does. They are not in short supply, we have 137 of them remaining, so there's no rush, no need to leap right away. But when they're gone, they're gone.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The 69-70 is infamous for that poor fit. That misalignment is is not unique to aftermarket hoods. My stock shaker hood suffers from it also, so I've got some work to do.
20200325_101054.jpg
20200325_101131.jpg

·
Vendor
3,682 Posts
The 69-70 is infamous for that poor fit. That misalignment is is not unique to aftermarket hoods. My stock shaker hood suffers from it also, so I've got some work to do.
View attachment 748026 View attachment 748027
I saw this post, and thought to myself "I really need to go look at my own damn cars, because I'd never pondered how bad the fit might be up there before"... My pet peeve has always been molding alignment, and maybe I've totally glossed-over the obvious.

So, yes, sure enough... This area on a 69-70 Mustang was suspect from the factory.

The photos below are of a virgin original 5,100 mile 1970 Mach 1. So there you have it. Note that the passenger side gap is not as pronounced as the driver's side. That is because the hood cheats a little low next to the fender as it approaches the front, which mitigates the gap.

Looking at my buddy Gary's 1969 Mach 1, which as you're approaching from the front REALLY lines up dynamite, that's what he did, he has the hood adjusted a bit low towards the front to lessen the gap against the extentions. It's a better looking compromise, IMHO, compared to running the hood dead-level and even with the fenders, only to wind up with a sizable gap at the extensions.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I’ll post a picture but my 1970 hood does not line up too well either. The fenders are a 10 year old repo Hood I don’t know if Oem or not

·
Premium Member
10,379 Posts
I stole this photo from an unremembered classic car dealership. This B9 had supposedly undergone a complete frame-off rotisserie restoration. The first thing I noticed in the photos was this extremely poor hood alignment on a car they were trying to sell for some ungodly sum, around $300K as I recall. You'd think for that kind of money they would have brought in an expert metal worker to line it up.
1970 Boss 429 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The Daniel Carpenter hood lip trim is perfect. You won't be disappointed. The Tim on mine is stock oem.

·
Vendor
3,682 Posts
Carpenter is only doing the '69 molding. There is (currently) no truly-good reproduction for the '70. I would have to assume that Daniel has never been able to find or recover the original tooling for that one.

That blue Boss 429 up above isn't the victim of poor bodywork, it's the victim of cobbled assembly/alignment/adjustment.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I agree that this a very common problem on the 69-70s. I'm the original owner of a 69 and it has had it from day one. I see it in photographs all the time- in fact it may be the norm. So in severe cases would you pie-cut the structure underneath then weld it back up? I'm afraid I'd do more damage than good if I tried to simply bend it into place. What do you body experts recommend?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts