Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tossed 2 new hood lip mouldings and rejected at least 5 more. The one I am using right now is resaonably straight but has some kind of regularly spaced nicks from the stamping or rolling process. The real problem I'm finding is that all I have looked at....even some alleged NOS pieces...have the center peak of the bend OFF CENTER. The peak is off to the right of center approx. 1/4 to 3/8" on all of them.

I'm using the slot for the center screw as a reference point. My original piece (a little too peppered to re-use) seems to peak right at the center. Is this actually how they have always been made? What are the rest of you doing for a correctly centered piece???

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Not sure about your year, but on my '68 I bit the bullet and found NOS. I did the same as you, fit one and it was off center and misaligned. The two ends were visibly different curvatures with one sticking up 1/4" above the hood. Took it back to the shop, checked every one they had (about 20) all mismanufactured.

Their attitude.... "oh well, close enough... sure you don't want one?" Not. :p

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya know what? My original is good enough to restore. The pecks are so small I'm sure they can be worked out and thoe whole thing polished and coated. It's a much better material than the new ones and the peak is so close to center I'm not going to waste time on anything else.

G

·
You have to center them, no big deal, just work it around so the holes line up. Never had a repro or NOS that I couldn't make fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts