Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
1,878 Posts
At 110+ mph I can see the leading edge of the hood start to lift, not very comforting. Sitting still, I cannot move the hood (by hand) no matter how hard I yank on it, so that^ is significant aero pressure.

I haven’t yet had the courage to drill holes in my factory hood, but I might have to. Either that, or go aftermarket. I haven’t decided yet.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I had them on my old '67 coupe after the hood didn't latch all the way when I closed it one day and it popped open at 60mph...resulting in torn fender aprons, they became a neccesity in my mind after that. Honestly I am of 2 minds about them:

1. They definitely have a purpose and are actually useful.
2. They are definitely ugly and if they are the type with a cable they will definitely scratch up paint and trim.

I keep an eye out for some nice looking flush-mount ones...but the so called "flush mount" ones on the market still require frenching to actually be flush. I will likely end up with them again though when I get around to getting a hood though...simply because I don't trust the factory latch aymore, and there is a slight benefit to me in deleting the hood latch assembly(Or rather replacing it with a simple structural brace) with what I am planning to do with the front valance and upper nose.

Reactions: Kjsmitty

·
Registered
1966 Mustang coupe/HCI 5.0/ TKO-600/ 3.80:1 Trac-Loc
140 Posts
After having 2 hoods fling open on me at 60 mph, I'll never not run them! Now that I have a full fiberglass hood I'm bound to the pins. At 110+ I only really start to see the back of the hood start to lift but the front stays nice and put. Plus, they look nice :)

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Mine is the white 66, This was the only picture I had on hand that showed the pins

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,129 Posts
If youre gonna run hood pins you gotta run this. scoop.
Rectangle Output device Automotive exterior Bumper Gadget
and a mullet is a must.

I remember a few decades ago my cousin had the hood latch on his fox body fail and bust his windshield. He got the windshield replaced installed the pins and took it for a spin, at around 60 mph he realized he forgot to put the pins in. As soon as he lifted his foot off the gas the hood flew up smashing hus brand new windshield.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,292 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
It’s all I’ve got..

View attachment 847435
It’s how I bought it.. I’m thinking of adding a latch just for security.. but we’ll see.
Whaa? For security? Its the factory latch that fails, never had hood pins fail on me...can't say the same for the latch. Car looks good btw (y)

I decided to go with the Shelby turn latch but have to admit a bit nervous View attachment 847482
Inquiring minds want to know...what upper nose is that? I love the fact the fake grills are shaved, I plan on doing the same with mine...you have any pictures from other angles by chance?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,129 Posts
If I was concerned with latch failure I'd put the pins backwards and pin it in the grill so it didn't look dated.

Reactions: Aussie67

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,292 Posts
Along with the mullet and wouldn'tyou know it i aint got no hair.... lol.
I bet you'd look fetching in a mullet wig.

I'm considering removing my latch but knowing me I'd forget the pins and cause all kinds of havoc. So for now I'm considering them extra security.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts