Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my hood back from the body shop. There was a severe dent in the hood from a hit & run (Not me! The P.o. !!!)

The hood looks great, but the dent was right over the location for the F and O in "FORD", and after the dent was pulled, he applied a thin veneer of bondo to smooth it out. The problem is, now the holes are gone for the first 2 letters!

My first instinct was just to drill the holes back in, but I am afraid of messing up the bondo veneer.

Is it possible to just stick the letters back on with some sort of adhesive?

Has anybody done anything like this?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I first redid mine, I put double stick tape on to keep them in place. Work for quite awhile without too many problems. I would think you could put a piece of tape down before you drill the hole and that should keep it from messing everything up if you want to drill it. I would start small and work up. Someone else may be able to help more.

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Not sure, but I seem to remember being able to see those holes from the back side - through the stamped openings on the underside brace. If I am right, I doubt your body shop would have covered the backside of the holes too...

Have you looked there?

-Zim

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Let the body shop do it, they covered the holes up, they should have to uncover them.

John Harvey

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
On the other hand. Removing the hood FORD letters, and filling ALL the holes is known as "nosing" in the custom crowd.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The answer to part of your question, is Yes. It's common practice for repair shops to reinstall emblems with adhesive tape, and in fact, a lot of the newer cars emblems are installed that way from the factory! I believe you can acquire it, at an automotive paint store. The tape I've seen used is transparent, and very sticky. Not the foam type! The answer to your other question is No. I've never used this. I checked out your website, and it looks like it's coming along nicely. Good luck with your project.

J.R.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Cut the pins off of the letters and use 3M Emblem Adhesive. I used it on my MUSTANG letters on the fender and it turned out great!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3M Emblem Adhesive?

I will have to see if I can track it down.

Is it a spray, or what?

I assume I should wait till after the hood is painted to do this.

I guess the tough part will be getting the spacing right.

I thought about just drilling the holes out from the backside as someone sugested, but I am afraid of messing up or weakening the bondo work.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Its like $6 at a paint and body supply shop. I have a whole tube if you need some, I used it on two or three of the letters on my deck lid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts