Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a turn signal hood on my '67 and I'm thinking of adding a functional hood scoop to it. But I'm afraid it would look goofy.

Anyone have photos of this?

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I don't have any photo's but I agree it doesn't look right....I used a plain flat hood for mine...I would store your somewhat rare turn signal hood in case you ever want to go back to stock someday..

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I think it's either or... it would look weird

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Depends on what scoop you plan on using. I don't think a Cobra Jet (like a 68.5 CJ) scoop would look bad, but it definitely wouldn't look original to anyone in the know.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,659 Posts
No pics, but I have a '69 scoop lying around that I set on my '67's hood to check it out.
Doesn't work, just too "busy" looking. I know the '70 type Shelby hoods had multiple scoops but they are balanced and they just work. I have seen pictures of other scoops on deluxe hoods before and they just didn't look at all good to me.
IMHO the '69 scoop would look good on a plain hood. I chose to stick with my deluxe hood.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you must have a hood scoop, set the turn signal hood aside or sell it to pay for a standard hood. I have seen several iterations of a hood scoop on the turn signal hood (once even on a hipo 67 Fastback) and it was attrocious. You'll be glad you didn't. I'll post pics when I get home in case you want to see how bad it looks.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The flat hood was rusted beyond repair on my first 68.5 cobra jet so I used a turn signal hood and honestly I didn't think it looked too bad. Maybe the wide center stripe helped hide it. Here's the only pic I have that shows the hood and scoop.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doug,

That does look pretty decent but it's not the best photo, either.

Thanks again
-Matt

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
I put a BOSS 429 scoop on a 68 with the TS hood, and it didn't look half bad.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If you try to use a 69 or later scoop you will have to massage the back lip. 69s were flat at the rear of the hood and the scoop is flat there also. 67-68 have a ridge all the way to the rear of the hood.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here is a 68 hood with a scoop on it.....The scoop has turn signals but they don't work it.......By the way, its for sale..........50.00 takes it.....Has a dent in it....Last picture shows it......

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have this setup on my car and it looks really good and my scoop turn signals work giving it a cool appearance at night.

Chris

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
I had a 68 GT Coupe back in the 80's & I made it a resto mod before they were being called that & I installed a hood scoop from a 1976 Cobra II. I mounted the scoop near the rear of the hood just like the Mach - 1 scoops are. It was a little shorter then the Mach -1 scoop & I liked the look of it even with the turn signal hood. Unfortunately all the pics of the car are on 35mm film & being we just moved I have no idea were the photo album is that has pics of that car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts