Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a pic of the clip on the passenger side of the hood seal (mounted to cowl at rear of hood)? The clip is sort of S-shaped and uses one screw to hold it to the cowl.
I think I have the clip yet it doesn't seem to work so it's either been bent or I'm stupid. A close-up pic of one installed on a '67 or 68 car would help a lot.

Also, what was the finish on this clip originally?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Do you mean the hood grounding strap?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The clip is copper. When the screw is holding thr clip properly in place the U shaped curve will roughly wrap around the cowl seal. Dearborn/NJ used a gold dichromate hex screw not sure about SJ

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the grounding strap but the copper one that secures the hood seal to the cowl.

Thanks for the description tlea!

I wonder why ford put this clip on one side of the car only. And why copper?

I'd still love a close-up pic if anyone has one to post.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Metuchen 67 used a phosphate/oil sheet metal screw to attach the copper grounding strap.

Regards,

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm following this topic because I also am installing a new hood seal. Seems
like the question concerned the passenger side seal clip not the copper hood grounding
clip! :confused:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, my original question concerned the clip that attached to the passenger side cowl with one screw and appeared to hold down the cowl/hood seal.

After reading these responses, I'm guess that this clip is actually the hood grounding strap. I wondered why ford would hold the seal down using the plastic clips and then apply this clip to the passenger side only. I think you guys are trying to tell me that this copper clip is actually the grounding strap, right? it folds over the top of the seal and the hood closes against it.

So, how does one install a new cowl/hood seal? They come with the plastic clips, but they are not installed. Do you need to mark their location, punch a hole in the seal and insert the clip? Perhaps a better quality seal comes with the clips installed???

It really burns me when vendors catalogs state "Made in USA" but when you call to confirm, they tell you they have no idea where the seal comes from. It arrives in a clear bag with no markings whatsoever and smells like all other off-shore rubber I've had the joy to wif.

If someone knows of a good ol' USA supplier for this hood/cowl and other seals, please post it here! Thank you. :)

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Angela said:
Not the grounding strap but the copper one that secures the hood seal to the cowl.

Thanks for the description tlea!

I wonder why ford put this clip on one side of the car only. And why copper?

I'd still love a close-up pic if anyone has one to post.
That copper strip IS THE GROUNDING DEVICE FOR THE HOOD it is not there to hold the hood seal.
I have a couple of very good close up pics of mine . Can E-mail to you .

·
Registered
406 Posts
The cowl to hood seal actually should look like a figure 8 from the side (it has a rib making two openings for the entire length). On the smaller opening side of the seal, there should be holes already present for the T-pins. At each hole, you need to stretch the seal material over each T-pin so that the round T-pin ends are sticking out from the seal. Those ends are what get pushed into the cowl.

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts