Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
This evening i had one of the worst times i ever had with my stang. I drove off the road and suddenly the hood came up. Luckily i noticed it at approx 40 mph and blocked the wheels to stop.. The hood didn't came off and did also not hit the window but it is bent pretty badly on both sides.

What is the best way to solve this, is it possible to repair a bended (original) hood or should i better buy a new repro hood?

I think this happened because the security clamp was gone and the hood was not pressed in enough. I always take care of pressing it in well hearing a good clank. I suspect someone else had opened it and didn't put it back very well but i guess i'll never know... However it is my own stupid fault and i now have to pay the price for that..

Richard
"the netherlands"

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i doubt it will ever be perfectly straight again. if your on a budget, i would try bending it back and see what happens. you will need to repaint it either way. depending on how much it bent, there will be weak spots on the creces, so the hood may become too weak to use.

you may want to invest in a pair of hood pins, they are relativly inexpensive, and look cool, imo /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
good luck in whichever route you choose.

- Jason

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Bent hoods are tough, because you have to get them very straight again before skimming with bondo or something. The hood on my '66 was bent at one time (it was actually on my son's '65 when we bought it and we switched along the road to rebuilding them both).

It took a lot of patience and work, but you cannot tell now that it was ever bent.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,
I think i have to buy a new hood after all.

I went to a local restoration shop and asked them what to do. It is pretty much bent, on the left side one edge stands vertically and on the right side there is a serious bend all over the right upper side.
I can buy a new one (repro) or used both for about $350 each. I know they are cheaper in US but it isn't worth shipping i think.

Richard
"The Netherlands"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts