Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to get the drivers side rear of my hood to lower (sits about 1/4 in too high). I’ve already adjusted the hinge as much as I can but nothing. I can press on the rear of the hood and it will get into position though. Any thoughts on what I can do? 66 coupe

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would grind out the hinge mounting holes so it goes down further

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I had the same issue with my '66 hood. Despite my best efforts, the left rear corner would not close flush with the fender. I could push it down after closing the hood, but that got old fast.. I ended up replacing the hinges with the thicker repro parts from NPD. Problem solved!

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Mine has done the same thing for at least the last 28 years with the original hinges, hood has never been off, or even loose as far as I know. I just push the driver rear corner down a little when I notice it. My son's car does the very same thing. Keeping them well lubricated makes it better. I consider it a nuance, not a nuisance.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You cannot push down on the hinge, that's not how it works. You loosen the bolts from the hinge to the body. Then push up on the front of the hood like your trying to open it. That rotates the hinge which lowers the back of the hood.
Pushing down on the corner is not changing any adjustment. It merely forces the hinge to overcome the loose, sloppy pivots that 50+ years of service has produced. When I removed my originals, they had a tremendous amount of play in them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Agreed with above, replace hinge and problem solved.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had pretty much the same problem with my 67. It was like that when I bought it in 1974. The back of the hood always stuck up a bit. Pushing down on it when the hood was closed you could get it to line up until the next time the hood was opened. A "professional" Mustang restoration shop replaced the "worn out and bent" original hinges, which made little to no difference.. The way I finally got it aligned was to do what Vintage Ford Guy recommended. Open the hood, loosen the hinges, push up on the front of the hood to make the hinges rotate and tighten the hinges back down while they are still rotated. I would at least give that a try first.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I was in the same place when I installed my hood thinking I needed to replace the hinges as I had done so much adjusting. Just as Vintage Ford Guy said, I had to loosen the hinge and rotate it properly to get the good aligned and flush. Someone on this site had a great write up but I can't find it. You may have bad hinges, but I bet it can be adjusted as-is. Aligning the hood is not easy.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Besides loosening the hinge and lifting up the hood to rotate backwards, if the back of the hood is sitting high, place a shim under the front-most most hinge-to-hood bolt. When you tighten the rear bolt, it will suck the back of the hood down. Tighten the rear bolt first, then the front bolt. Most hoods need to be shimmed.

Likewise, if the back of the hood sits low, shim the back bolt.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Back when I was playing with Mustangs the hinges were only ten-year's old. No worn-out rivets to deal with. I'm almost positive the '65 Mustang shop manual was where I learned to push up on the front of the hood to adjust the hinges. I never had to shim one. My dad had bought a '65 Mustang new and the factory orange shop manual to go with it. so I always had his shop manual to look at. That manual got me through most of the disasters I got myself into. Its worth buying a used one or a reproduction. No Mustang Forums to ask questions back then. Seems like it was just a week ago. I'm trying to figure-out where the last 45-year's went along with most of my cartilage????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts