Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

302 in a 68 fastback with trick flow heads. I've had to tighten down the header bolts 2 times already and I can't get a socket around some of them because they are too close to the pipes. Any tricks or special wrenches that I can get?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
No real special wrench. You could try these:

Or Stage 8 locking bolts

Oh, I always snug the hard to access bolts first. Otherwise the bolt heads tend to bind on the tubes. Once snugged I tighten cylinder by cylinder to get even torque, as judged by my hand. :)

Reactions: Jedi

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I'm just going to switch them out to hex Socket Bolts. Much easier.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Actually there is a special tool you can get,SnapOn has a long box end wrench with thin wall ends IIRC 3/8 and 7/16,works good on my car and even better since I changed to FPA headers.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You can try using stubby wrenches. Snap on and others have them. They work the best for me to get at header bolts in tight places. I still have to check them from time to time but I can at least get to all of em.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
ARP makes header bolts with a 3/8 head instead of the 7/16 size that most companies use......

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
You can try using stubby wrenches. Snap on and others have them. They work the best for me to get at header bolts in tight places. I still have to check them from time to time but I can at least get to all of em.
+1 on the stubby wrenches. i got a cheap set from harbor freight , they work great

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
ARP makes header bolts with a 3/8 head instead of the 7/16 size that most companies use......
I use those and high collar lock washers, just like we did at JBA back in the day. If you have thick header flanges, they won't loosen up.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Use ARP reduced head(5/16" 12 point) header bolts and a Snap-On torque adapter.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Biggest issue is a few of the bolts are very close to the pipe, so you can't put a socket on them, and a regular open wrench can't get in there enough to properly torque down. I'm just going to my local fastener shop and getting hex type bolts. Maybe get them slightly longer and put lock washers on too for good measure.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
361 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts