Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: My 66 f/b is almost ready for the road! I’m using the motor, T-5 transmission and the accessories off of the motor from an 85 GT. This has the serpentine belt.
Question: I’m using an alternator from the same 85. It has a 3-wire harness similar to the 66 harness. But which wire goes where? The 66 harness has a black w/ red strip, black w/ yellow strip and a white wire.

TIA

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
The wire from the "Batt" post on the alternator goes to the battery side of the solenoid, and the A+ terminal on the regulator

The wire from the "FLD" post on the alt goes to the "F" terminal on the regulator

The wire from the "STA" post on the alt goes to the "S" terminal on the regulator

and there may be some ground wires that go from the case of the alternator to the case of the regulator. Doesn't sound like you have them, sounds like you have the 3 above. Use a multimeter (ohmmeter setting) to figure out which wire is which.

My guess is the white wire is for the STA, the yellow stripe is for the FLD, and the red stripe (thicker wire?) is for the Batt/A+. The "I" terminal on the regulator runs inside to the dash on some cars. Make sure you check what I filled in above, it's a "well informed guess"

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
From the Master Himself:
Black/red: goes to chassis Ground This is really Red/Black.
White goes to FLD or Field
Black/yellow goes to BAT

On 1966, STA is not used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts