Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got nearer the latter than the former.

Took a vacation day in order to be home when some furniture that we ordered was delivered. The "window" that they provided was 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. They called at 9 a.m. and said that they were 1/2 hour away. That's cool, better early than late.

I'm west of Atlanta and it rained cats & dogs here last night. in anticipation of their arrival, I put down carpet runners and drop cloths thinking that, while carrying things into the house, they might have to step off the sidewalk or driveway. No worries; They parked at the street and marched right across the lawn, order in hand. What the hay, my grass is thick enough that all they tracked in was some loose debris, no mud.

One fellow was installing an adjustable bed frame while the other was putting legs on the sofa and love-seat. Going back and forth between the two rooms I notice that the sofa fellow is moving from one leg to another before he's installed all of the mounting hardware. I assume that he's just getting everything located and will install each bolt once he's happy with the fit. Meanwhile I'm helping install the bed adjuster. I come back to the living room after the bed frame is done and the sofa and love seat are standing on their legs and the guy says, "that's it."

As it was pretty early, I gave each of them a sausage/bagel and a can of Coke, thanked them and they split.

I begin vacuuming the foam packing particles from the carpet and I see that there's a cardboard box, perhaps 10"x10" under the love seat. I look. There's hardware in it. Uh oh. I feel beneath the chair and there is one bolt (of 3) missing from each leg. So I roll the thing on it's back and determine that because the front bolts are longer than the rear, he's mixed up the bolt position and since the short bolts wouldn't thread into anything, he just chunked them into the box and left them. I'm able to re-position all the bolts and everything is good, all hole are filled.

Now, I have suspicions about the sofa. I feel under it and sure enough, one bolt missing from every leg. But, they didn't leave that box. So I'm SOL. I call the service number and they're "very sorry," and they're going to overnite the hardware. That's nice. I went to the hardware store and bought what I needed because the wife is going to want to see her stuff in place and I don't want to put it there and then have to move it again to install the bolts. When I return from the hardware store I see that they've left a bit of trash in the road and among the trash is one of the long bolts. Sigh.....

I woke up this morning with a sense of dread because I KNEW something would go wrong. I'm just glad it was minor. And depressed that there is zero concern about doing a good job. This order was in the thousands of $$ and they treat it like they're delivering a pizza. Worse, actually.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In general, the guys who work delivering furniture for any length of time do not do so because they're smart enough to figure tings out. It's often because they are qualified to lift heavy things. I don't say that to be mean or to denigrate what they do, I'm just saying -- they're not engineers. They're furniture delivery guys. You need to set expectations really low.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"You need to set expectations really low."

I did. And they, on the low side, nearly met them.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
"You need to set expectations really low."

I did. And they, on the low side, nearly met them.
Yup. Seen it before personally. Happens frequently when "whomever" (insert your favorite furniture, etc. store)
hires an independent service to deliver their stuff.

$1900 refrigerator 15 years ago was badly damaged on the side because it fell over while
they were fooling with it in front of the house. I discovered the caved-in left side after it was situated inside
its alcove in my kitchen, but the wonderful delivery folks were long gone at that point.
Took a month to get the replacement refrigerator and I had stopped payment on the damaged one meanwhile.
The bright spot in the whole saga- they never re-billed my credit card for the replacement refrigerator and no
amount of calls from us ever got it handled. We used to call it our free refrigerator and it stayed at that house
when we sold to move to the current one.......

·
Registered
416 Posts
I figure I've spent 15 hours on the phone with Centurylink moving 4 phone lines from one business location to another. Incompetence is not limited to delivery people. My next job will be with a big company where I'm just a cog in the wheel of my fellow idiots. I'll just spend my day saying "I don't know" and collect a check.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure I've spent 15 hours on the phone with Centurylink moving 4 phone lines from one business location to another. Incompetence is not limited to delivery people. My next job will be with a big company where I'm just a cog in the wheel of my fellow idiots. I'll just spend my day saying "I don't know" and collect a check.
I hear ComCast is hiring.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
I believe it, 100%. You can't make people care.
Many years ago I signed up with a temporary labor service for a summer. I got sent out to a furniture moving company. Within literally three days I was a moving crew foreman. Though I did have some experience I have no illusions as to why I was promoted so quickly. Everyone else I worked with was that terrible. "Oh look, this box says fragile it on it. Watch me slam dunk it." Before my time was up with that company my "crew" was just me, a truck, and the one good helper I found. Out of like forty people at any one time. I got to where I just flat refused any other "help". I never could believe people could suck so bad at a such a simple job. Just bother take a little care, that's all you had to do to be good at it.

Nowadays those mover employees are everywhere. I'm at the point where when I pay someone to do something (cut my hair, make me a sandwich, anything) and they don't F it up I am surprised. The converse of that is how nice it is to find people doing a good job or at least trying to. I try my best to encourage or compliment those people rather than just complain about the others. It ain't easy, I'm only human.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The delivery guys are now almost 100% independent contractors.

I know a few of those guys. They own their box truck and gross ~5k a week.

Some of them own multiple box trucks.

Pretty good money for having a strong back and credit good enough to buy a box truck with a lift.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
The delivery guys are now almost 100% independent contractors.

I know a few of those guys. They own their box truck and gross ~5k a week.

Some of them own multiple box trucks.

Pretty good money for having a strong back and credit good enough to buy a box truck with a lift.
Complete BS if that's even close to accurate. I have to give a $%^& all the time at work and I don't
make 5K gross a week......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts