Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking for mustangs locally for sometime and found one in decent shape for the restomod I want to do. The ownwer is asking 5k but from the research ive done and its condition I thinks its only worth about 3k. Please give me your opinions on what price would be reasonable.

Heres the description the owner gave:
I have for sale a one owner, 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe in fair condition with 160,000 original miles. This car has been in our family since it was purchased new in '67. The motor has had some maintenance work done recently and will run with a little work. It has the 289 V8, 3 speed manual transmission, and is lime gold metallic with black interior including bucket seats and console. The body is in good condition with a few small dings that need to be fixed, but shouldn't be much trouble. The carburetor was recently rebuilt and the brakes had some work done as well. The only significant rust spots are in the rear quarterpanels on both sides and could be fixed with a small panel replacement.

Here are some images:

·
Registered
586 Posts
$5k seems like a lot for a non-runner that needs everything. I'd offer him $2.5k and make sure the floors aren't rusted thru. Where is the car located at?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Cold_beer, you are very generous!! The way that thing is sitting, I would bet big $$ on the rear frame being nonexistent. Along with the "two partial panel patches" it looks like 2 bumpers, 1 fender, most likely a battery tray, some door hinges (check those door lines) and a full floor pan. Anyone wanna go double or nothing re the cowl? Interior ? Ummm, none here (ok maybe the seat frames are salvageable along with the center console) my bid would be somewhere around $500-$750 and not a penny more.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I just re read the op. $5K?!?!?!? The seller HAS to be smoking crack!!!! If that sells for $5K Then logic would dictate that my fully restored plain Jane coupe is worth what? $125,000?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Cold_beer, you are very generous!! The way that thing is sitting, I would bet big $$ on the rear frame being nonexistent. Along with the "two partial panel patches" it looks like 2 bumpers, 1 fender, most likely a battery tray, some door hinges (check those door lines) and a full floor pan. Anyone wanna go double or nothing re the cowl? Interior ? Ummm, none here (ok maybe the seat frames are salvageable along with the center console) my bid would be somewhere around $500-$750 and not a penny more.
Wow, I don't doubt what you are saying, but you must have x ray vision to see all that from those low res pictures, lol.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Why do Mustang sellers always seem to think they've got the next closest thing to a Boss or Shelby?

1967 FORD MUSTANG Value

Definitely a #5 according to the condition guide. Assuming its an average #5, then right around $1,000. But looking at the environment in the background where its parked and reading the seller's description, I'd echo everyone else's concerns about rust. Indeed if its been parked THERE, outside on the grass, on that property, with that kind of leave fall for 44 years, then it could be bad, very bad.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Wow, I don't doubt what you are saying, but you must have x ray vision to see all that from those low res pictures, lol.
LOL!! Let me just say that I know I am not even nearly the most experienced here. But low res or not, I can make an educated guess when the doors don't line up and the rear looks like it's been dropped close to 4". I'm also guessing that it's been parked in that field since 1967! Please go check it out and let me know how clear my crystall ball is! Being that I'm used to Northeast cars I'm not saying it's not worth doing, but you couldn't give that car away with a hundred dollar bill taped to the windsheild in Arizona on Texas!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha Thanks yall. Ive been thinking the same thing yall have. Now as to how long its been sitting there i have no idea. Im going to look at it a take pics wednesday and ill post about my findings afterwards. I live in raleigh, nc by the way. Ive looked at quite a few mustangs around where i live and everyone seems to think they have a premo mustang, when in fact they have a 3k or less old rusty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That rearend is sagging hard! Kinda looks like a motor might be MIA... haha. Basically get a check list of rust spots, and defects to look for, but I'd say just walk away. That is beat up, 160,000 miles of 70 MPH in 1st gear (someone has to know the reference...)

Offer 1000, have him haul.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Uh oh... I think I'm having another vision... Wait.... The bottoms of both doors are so soft from rust you could poke your finger through...
Yeah, no, $5K isn't absurd at all!!
$5K people!! It DOESN'T RUN!!! Do you know what $5K could get you at Carlisle??

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If there is major structural rust then IMO it is not worth your time. Find one with a better body. Otherwise I would say anything below $3K is OK.

If that console is in decent shape it is worth $300-600 all by itself.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
What would rearend sag be due to? Suspension problems or worse?
Best case scenario worn rear leafs.worst case rotted out rear frame rails. Personally if that car were relatively sound structurally(rot wise throughout),I'd pay $2k for it.It's a v8 stick with the console,which as noted if it's complete and solid is worth some money on it's own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
haha, nice one fuzz. IMHO, i wouldn't touch that car, if your gonna build a resto mod you probably wanna get one with as little as body wouldnt work as possible, i am in that dilemma right now, i got so much body work to do i find myself not being able to build the performance i want with such a tight budget. good luck finding a nice one and let us know when you do.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It looks pretty tired. There are better starting points here in central NC. They sound like they have more sentimental value than actual. It will most likely be an up hill fight if not impossible to get them to come down significantly in price if that's the case. Time will wear them down, that and nothing but low ball offers. It looks quite needy. I have a pile of 67 parts and would not get into that one for any more than $1500 around here (I'm in Garner). C'list has 67's all the time. Be patient and look past 'completeness' which means nothing when it all has to be replaced.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm near Raleigh (in Lillington). Let me know if you want me to go with you to look at it. Sometimes having someone else with you can be beneficial, so you don't make a big mistake.

Cold_beer, you are very generous!!
$2.5k only if it is a solid and complete car. Anything beyond mild surface rust would reduce that offer considerably.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cold beer, it'd would be great having someone else with me to look at. The car is actually closer to you, its in olivia near sanford. Ill be meeting up with the owner at 1:00 to look at it this wednesday(tomorrow).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts